Verenti Dragon Ride

Following an item in another thread regarding the poor state of some roads on the Verenti Dragon Ride route, over a period of three days we have extensively surveyed the entire Gran & Medio Fondo routes and compiled a report to three of the four Local Authorities that the ride passes through. They have all responded to us with assurances that the pot holes will be dealt with prior to the ride. Oddly the section of the ride in Powys had no appreciable defects, the majority of problems in the more urban areas are situated around the edges of utility repairs, which you don't tend to have out in the country.

We would ask experienced riders to point out any surface deformities to riders behind them. Now's the time for you sportive novices to brush up on bunch riding sign language!

Some useful links:
http://velochick.wordpress.com/2010/03/12/cycling-handsignals/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O64lYp7J7Dw

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Great work!

If you could just ask the jetstream to head back to its normal position that would be nice. At the moment I foresee snow closing a few of the passes if this carries on ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Gold/Silver standards for Verenti Dragon Ride

130km
    Gold Sub 4:50
    Silver 4:50 - 5:40
    Bronze Sub 5:40

190km
    Gold Sub 6:20
    Silver 6:20 - 7:30
    Bronze Sub 7:30
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Hope those traffic lights on the Rhigos are gone by the time the Dragon Ride arrives they kind of spoil a nice descent.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Just back from a weekend's training in south Wales and can confirm the road surfaces on the extended loop bit of the Gran Fondo route are absolutely fine. We didn't do Bwlch, Cimla or Rhigos, though, so no idea what the surfaces are like there.
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Gold/Silver standards for Verenti Dragon Ride

130km

190km

6:20 for 190km - bit too quick for me i think... that's 30kph average assuming you don't stop! Are there any different standards based on age :wink:
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Gold/Silver standards for Verenti Dragon Ride

130km

190km

On the 130 you've got silver as 4:50 to 5:40 and bronze as sub 5:40 which makes bronze the same as silver (or have I missed something here?)

Its the same on the 190km only 7:30
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Brakeless wrote:
    On the 130 you've got silver as 4:50 to 5:40 and bronze as sub 5:40 which makes bronze the same as silver (or have I missed something here?)

Its the same on the 190km only 7:30

I'm presuming the Bronze times should be Over rather than Sub?

Still, on those times only about 50 of last year's entrants would have got a Gold - I'm all for times being challenging but.....
  • jackfeeder
    jackfeeder Posts: 269
    'Hope those traffic lights on the Rhigos are gone by the time the Dragon Ride arrives they kind of spoil a nice descent.'
    They bring you to a grindiing halt, keep you there for ages just as you are getting some speed up. Right pain. Well they were still there on Sat and we commented that if they are still there on the 6th it's going to be a nightmare.
    Road surfaces were ok, some big potholes but not too bad. Going through Treochory was a bone rattler though.
    And I hope it's a bit cooler - don't fancy the 2nd ascent of the Bwlch after 90miles in that heat!!!!!
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    You're setting the bar quite high on the gold standard. By last years times that was only about 50 odd riders that would have got that