"Oi mate, your wheel's going round!" WTF?

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
As I was cycling home today a chav on the pavement shouted "Oi mate, your wheel's going round" at me. What the hell does that mean? The weird thing is, I'm sure I remember someone on here (or maybe the old C+ forum) saying they'd had the same thing shouted at them by a chav. Is it a chav conspiracy to confuse cyclists?

Comments

• Zombie_donkey
    Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
    I hope for your sake it isn't their mating call.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I've had that shouted at me before. I was going quite slowly in heavy traffic, so I acted shocked before thanking them for bringing it to my attention.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    I've had that one before as well (I've since recovered from the surgery to reconstruct my sides). I've never quite got it either. There was a thread a while back (last Autumn, I think) on things that have been shouted by chavs.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Bushfire
    Bushfire Posts: 27
    I have it all the time having part of my commute through chav estate! Stock reply is "& so's your mum" takes them a while but worth it to hear their mates laughing.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    had that and 'oi! you've got your lights on' when riding home after a 3-11 shift in winter.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Bushfire wrote:
    I have it all the time having part of my commute through chav estate! Stock reply is "& so's your mum" takes them a while but worth it to hear their mates laughing.

I going to remember that one..... :D

I've heard the same thing shouted at me "Hey mate your..."

Yeah yeah yeah. Do your braincells die lonely?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Whilst on the chav subject why is it always crappy old Corsa drivers or passengers ? Had one hoot at me on the dual carriageway yesterday for no apparent reason

Like 'so's your mum' retort - I may make use of that in future
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    Bushfire wrote:

Good comeback! It's been a stock comment along with ''get off and milk it'' since I was a kid - so early 70s - and they were already well established then.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    NO! NO! NO! This comes from the early 60's, and we used to shout it at workers coming home from the GKN/BSC Steelworks in Cardiff docks.

The PROPER saying is "Oi! Mate! You're rear wheels going forward!"

Yep, a bit pathetic, but bloody hilarious when you're 7 yrs old !

CHAVS inventing stuff? They couldn't invent an excuse not to Sign On....
    Purlllllllleeeaaaassseeee....
  • Splottboy
    NO! NO! NO! This comes from the early 60's, and we used to shout it at workers coming home from the GKN/BSC Steelworks in Cardiff docks.

• Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    One I've had a couple of times...

"Mate...your back wheel's folllowing your front"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    Had a feeling it was the punchline from some long forgotten joke, wwhich seems to fit with the 60's thing
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Splottboy wrote:

+1.

And it was stil going strong when I were a lad <cough, cough>... :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I've had it too. Hi-fugging-larious. Really.

I've a theory that these people-shaped sheep lack the faculties to form an original thought on their own, all they've got (just) is the memory for a few time-worn phrases that get called out in Pavlovian fashion in response to external stimuli.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Splottboy
    Pavlova? The Dancer or the Desert?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've heard it too! Isn't it amazing that some lame joke from the early 60s has made it right through to 2010 and is still going - nationally it would seem. A real urban tradition.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Well at least your rear wasn't catching up with your front, that's a real bugger. :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    plowmar wrote:
    Well at least your rear wasn't catching up with your front, that's a real bugger. :lol:

wheelie bad news if it did!

I'll get me coat... err....cloak...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've heard it too! Isn't it amazing that some lame joke from the early 60s has made it right through to 2010 and is still going - nationally it would seem. A real urban tradition.
    See, now rather than feeling mildly annoyed and slightly perplexed, I feel quite honoured. It's like I've spotted something rare in the wild. Do you think there's an iSpy book that covers this sort of thing?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    See your bike?

Its a girl's bike.
  • Dav3m
    Dav3m Posts: 84
    heh, was running round clapham common yesterday and there were 2 chavs with pushchairs unneccesarily blocking the pavement. I shouted "excuse me!" as I ran past to which they shouted "theres a park there - go run in that!" to which I was very tempted to reply "there's a road there... go stand in it!"
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Dav3m wrote:
    heh, was running round clapham common yesterday and there were 2 chavs with pushchairs unneccesarily blocking the pavement. I shouted "excuse me!" as I ran past to which they shouted "theres a park there - go run in that!" to which I was very tempted to reply "there's a road there... go stand in it!"

Tut, Tut. Rule 27 of the Runners around Clapham Common On A Weekday guide clearly states "It is permissible to encourage good behaviour in persons on/adjacent/close to Clapham Common". Nothing in the rulebook says you are allowed to be rude :)
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    My dad told me a story once about a bloke he saw on his way to work.

He was alighting at at Farringdon tube station in the morning. The guy was wearing a weetabix box with holes cut out for his eyes, following all the commuters up the stairs to the barrier and crying out at them in a loud voice ....... BAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAA

I think the idea was to imply that he thought they were acting like a bunch of sheep.

Maybe he was mental but you must admit it is pretty funny. The old man always said he could have been anyone, including his boss, due to the weetabix box disguise. Who would know?

Anyway, it stikes me as a pretty good response to the stock Chav comments.

BAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAAAA
    See your bike?

Its a girl's bike.
    I`ve had that a bit but to be fair I used to ride a girl`s bike.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Nigel Bennett
    Nigel Bennett Posts: 653
    "Get them knees up!" is the usual one I hear...up where I know not, as they universally remain silent on that point. Occasionally they add "Mother Brown" to their original, brillliant and witty riposte. Must say I've not had the "Gerroff and milk it!" one for quite some time.

I did like what appeared to be genuine encouragement from what must have been an eleven-year-old at most - "Go on, lad!"...I'm fifty four, FCOL!

Must be awful for tandems - can you imagine how many times they must have heard "Can yew ride tandem?" in PG Tips Chimp-speak....
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    I had this from one of my idiotic colleagues yesterday!

To Which I replied with something along the lines of "Foxtrot Oscar"..................

I will remember the - Your Mum reply though! :roll:
    It's been a while...
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    When you have a visit from the Fairy.... "Dont worry mate, its only flat at the bottom"
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I was coming out of Shrewsbury this morning when, across the taxi rank, I saw a group of lads dressed in random super hero gear (Superman, Spiderman, Captain Scarlett etc - no Kick Ass alas!) - standing by the phone box was a gap toothed ex special needs graduate. He shouted out - 'Oi, Thunderbirds are go, heh heh heh...'. The lads looked a bit embarrassed for him. I think he thought he was being funny.
    Faster than a tent.......