My First 50 mile TT

martin56
martin56 Posts: 213
edited May 2010 in Pro race
My first 50er is looming in just over two weeks and I'm at a quondry as to how to fuel myself before and during the ride. Come on chaps and chapes's spill the beens. :?
Still going at fifty!But for how mutch longer

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll get no posts here - try Amateur Race. This board is for discussing professional road racing
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    No idea mate, but unless you're actually a pro I'd post this again over in the Amateur Race forum - you'll get a much better response. Oh, and good luck. :wink:
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Here's a few tips I've seen used.

Cut a Power Bar(that brand) into bit sized strips and stick them on your bars. They are sort of self adhesive. I've seen guys sort of roll them into strips and wrap them around the bars. They come off easy enough.

Use a Camelback so you don't have to keep reaching down to drink. Screws up your rhythm. Put ice in the Camelback.

Night before the race and maybe 2 nights before. Pasta. Sort of goes without saying.
    Don't overeat.

You shouldn't need much more than the Power Bar(maybe two) and water for a 50 miler. If you do add something to your water keep it on the lite side. i.e. don't use 8 scoops of some sort of energy drink. You should be more than well fueled from the pasta and meals in the preceding days.

I wouldn't worry about electrolyte supplements either, unless it's really hot. Just more stuff for your stomach to digest. And for a 50 I doubt you'll "run out".