Spec Tricross mudguard and rack recommendations

shinybits
shinybits Posts: 20
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

I’m looking to get a Specialized Tricross as my new commute bike on the cycle to work scheme. Our company has helpfully decided we need to use an online only bike shop for cycle to work purchases (http://www.wheelies.co.uk).

To make the most of the big discount, I want to get as many accessories as possible when I order it. I am used to riding a mountain bike, so new to roadie bits. Hence, I need your recommendations for:

- A set of mudguards that fit snuggly and are nice to look at (so black ones? - discuss). The tyres on the Tricross are 32s.

- A lightweight and good looking rack to put on the back (won’t be carrying much, no more than a single pannier).

- A gold rated D lock - either Abus or Kryptonite - I'm favouring Abus, as their mount seems to be nicer, but what are your thoughts?

And it helps if you can get the stuff on the Wheelies website!! Look forward to your thoughts! Thanks all :)

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Mudguards: http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p16166/SKS-Ch ... uards.aspx

I think the 50mm width would be perfect for 32s, but you'll want to check this.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just tried searching for Abus on the whelies.co.uk site and failed, however I'd go for an Abus City Chain X Plus, available in 80 & 110cm. Evans dropped £25 when I showed them the Wiggle price :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've got the black 45mm SKS ones on my Tricross, as to the rack I have this one: http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p3043/Tortec- ... -Rack.aspx fitted

You'll need to consider a pannier bag as well... so think about what you can leave at the office (locks, suits, shoes, shower stuff)

I have this: http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p15733/Altura ... fcase.aspx one as it is ideal for carrying the work stuff in - the flat design keeps the creases down on the shirt I carry in. It hangs at a 45 degree angle which looks a bit odd but keeps the pannier well away from your feet
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • shinybits
    Thanks all for your suggestions! Great to hear it from someone who actually owns one too :) The rack looks nice for the price.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    +1 for the SKS - great fit on my Tricross.

I have a Tubus Cosmo rack and it's brilliant. I'd also recommend panniers!
  • kieronymous
    kieronymous Posts: 60
    Ditto. I have SKS 'guards on my Tricross too. They're the only way to go. I've even modified mine with releasable zipties for fast install/removal. Make sure you get the correct width.

If you're mainly on road I suggest replacing the Borough CX tyres with something skinnier, e.g. 28mm Conti Ultra Gatorskins. You'll get fewer punctures and get to work faster. I've kept the Boroughs back for touring use.
    When Chuck Norris does division, there are no remainders.
  • saintbenny
    saintbenny Posts: 1
    I have used the SKS guards on my tricross for a year, great choice. 28 Gatorskins are also definetly the way to go.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The Borough's I had lasted 1,000 miles including a spate of punctures, changed to 28mm Marathon Plus and had no puntures sice (another 1,300 miles). 45mm Chromoplastic Guards are great, have a Blackburn rack for my panniers. Changing it to light mode tonight - Rack and Guards off, all lights off, fitting with 25mm gatorskins. Big training run this weekend, then the Etape Caledonia on it next weekend.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I use 32c Conti City rides - the extra size doesn't hugely affect my speed, which frankly isn't great anyway, but does add more comfort on the less than stirling roads around here.

Whichever you choose I would strongly recommend ditching the Boroughs....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Yeah unless you are heavy off-road as well, you may want to add new tyres to the C2W scheme. I switched from 32mm stock on my Tricross Single to 28mm Gatorskin and it was a gain of quite a few headwind m.p.h. I can tell you. It would be nice to retain some off-road tyres/wheels but it was bought primarily for my commute.
  • shinybits
    Great tips people. Yeah, it's mainly for road commuting use, with the very occasional trailway or bridleway, so it makes sense to change the tyres for something a bit more suitable. As you say, would be nice to keep a wheel set for off road use but hardly worth it!

Wallace, good luck on the Caledonia run :)
  • robocolley
    robocolley Posts: 37
    I have the SKS mudguards too and they work fine but I had to cut the front one as it had way too much toe overlap. This removed the lower bracket fixing so I had to be inventive to fix the mudguard.
    I use the smallest size, clearances are tight on 32mm tyres but I've not had any issues with them touching the tyres.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Good point on toe overlap, 32c tyres and guards will lead to this. 28's and close fitting guards will help but not cure it completely, although you do get used to it (2009 54cm Tricross comp).

Worse on my Ribble though...
  • DrJim
    DrJim Posts: 1
    I'm on a 56" Tricross Sport 2010, and I will admit that the toe-overlap with front sks muds is annoying, especially with my big feet, but it is only a problem when turning the wheel at ~30 degrees, which to be honest you're very unlikely to be doing when moving at anything over 5-10 mph. It's also not a problem when in my cleats. Either way, on the road you'll be making only the slightest wheel turns to change direction, so it won't be an issue.

I use Conti ultra gatorskin 28s with 10% less than psi - just for a slightly easier ride.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I use Halo Twin Rail 700x30somethings on my CX. I think the front one has done nearly 9000 miles now. :lol: