TT cranks

YRK
YRK Posts: 8
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Hi I did a few time trials last year and found I was pretty good. I've got some more coming up so I was looking into getting some TT cranks.
Has anyone got any ideas of what I should get, bearing in mind I'm only 5''7 :cry:

Any replies would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Stick with regular cranks.

If you are going to upgrade anything, get some faster wheels or tyres.

Cranks would probably be the last thing you need to upgrade provided you're riding anything from 105 / Centaur level upwards.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Before you get cranks, get aero bars, a skinsuit, shoe covers, deep section wheels, an aero helmet, a disc wheel (instead of deep section rear wheel) and a TT-specific frame.

Once you've got all that - go for some TT cranks.

FSA make a reasonably priced set: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CSF ... ic-megaexo

AND POST THIS IN THE BUYING ADVICE SECTION. NOT THE PRO RACE SECTION!!!!!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    and for heaven's sake put SPOILER on it. I recorded a show on a guy looking for bike parts and wanted to guess which one. Now I know and will have to watch masterchef re-runs :-(
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    YRK wrote:
    Hi I did a few time trials last year and found I was pretty good. I've got some more coming up so I was looking into getting some TT cranks.
    Has anyone got any ideas of what I should get, bearing in mind I'm only 5''7 :cry:

What exactly is a Time Trial crank????
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    dennisn wrote:
    YRK wrote:

Wonder if they're asking about the length of the crank or the number of teeth on the chainring... TT chainrings have more than standard road bike chainrings don't they?
  • A chainset is a chainset. A slightly aero chainset might be considered a TT chainset but is probably in reality just a more expensive chainset. I wouldn't recommend getting larger chainrings. 39 / 53 will suit all competitive bike racing apart from the odd exception.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I think YRK wanted to know if a longer crank would be better for a TT, as the pros tend to use longer cranks for TTs as well.
  • These days they generally stick to the same length. Maybe go to the next size up but that would make such a small difference to an amateur for it to be not worth considering. There are much larger gains to be got from the list Pokerface wrote above rather than worrying about crank lengths.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

Try http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk - you'll find plenty of TT cranks over there.

;-)

Cheers, Andy
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dennisn wrote:
    YRK wrote:

This is a TT crank. A regular crank, but more 'aero'. Overpriced fluff to most.

CSFSNPTT-170-BLK-5442-BSC_P1.jpg