50 mile TT advice

karlosh
karlosh Posts: 25
edited May 2010 in Amateur race
There is a 50 mile TT coming up i was thinking of entering. I was wondering if people could offer some advice, especially on pacing and drink/ food consumption.

Also, what is a good time for a first effort? I was thinking of aiming for 3hours of there abouts. Is this too slow? Should i train harder and enter one later in the year?
Orbea Marmolada (2009)

Kona Kula (1999)

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Fuel wise you should be OK with just a bottle of energy drink as long as you are fully topped up before starting. Pacing is pretty much impossible to tell as it's a personal thing. If you have a heart rate monitor and know your max I would say probably ride at around 80 - 85% maximum. Timewise it would depend on the course, I don't want to put you off but on a 'normal' dual carriageway type course anything over about 2.5 hours would be considered quite slow. Have you tried doing any 10 or 25 mile TTs yet? If not it may be better to start with one of those. As I say I don't want to put you off, just give you an idea of what to expect. There's no problem in doing one in 3 hours (perhaps ask for an early start if possible) as it will give you a mark to improve on next time out.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Food/Drink : If you have a normal bottle cage and can carry a 750ml bottle OK on the bike, that filled with a sports drink should last you. As for food, well I wouldn't be able to eat anything, but I will carry 2 gels and have them equally spaced apart mileage wise.

Pacing: Well it is very important not to go off too fast, or the end of the ride will be a real slogfest. How experienced are you at 25m TT's as I would try and gauge the pace based on slightly less than a 25m TT.

I wouldn't worry too much about the time, there is no doubt you would do it within 3 hours, once you have a number on your back you tend go go faster than you would training, plus the course don't tend to be too hilly.

As to whether you should enter one, that is your choice, I personally would try a few 25m TT's to know what sort of pace you can do, and then think about it
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    karlosh wrote:
    There is a 50 mile TT coming up i was thinking of entering. I was wondering if people could offer some advice, especially on pacing and drink/ food consumption.

Also, what is a good time for a first effort? I was thinking of aiming for 3hours of there abouts. Is this too slow? Should i train harder and enter one later in the year?

3 hours and your worried about nutrition ? I'd rather go on a club run and scoff some cake....
    MTFU and press on the pedals.[/quote]
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    SBezza wrote:
    Food/Drink : If you have a normal bottle cage and can carry a 750ml bottle OK on the bike, that filled with a sports drink should last you. As for food, well I wouldn't be able to eat anything, but I will carry 2 gels and have them equally spaced apart mileage wise.

Pacing: Well it is very important not to go off too fast, or the end of the ride will be a real slogfest. How experienced are you at 25m TT's as I would try and gauge the pace based on slightly less than a 25m TT.

I wouldn't worry too much about the time, there is no doubt you would do it within 3 hours, once you have a number on your back you tend go go faster than you would training, plus the course don't tend to be too hilly.

As to whether you should enter one, that is your choice, I personally would try a few 25m TT's to know what sort of pace you can do, and then think about it

good advice there
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    I have always ridden 25s like a ten, and ended up faster...! Sadly this hasn't worked with a 50, which is about 10 miles too far for me, and have thus far got nowhere near sub 2 hours. I find I can hardly walk after a 50 until several hours afterwards such is the pain in my glutes.
  • karlosh
    karlosh Posts: 25
    So perhaps i was just being an ambitous newbie. I have only raced a handful of cat 4 races and 10 miles TTs. I couldn't make the 50 in the end anyway. I got the 3 hour time as an estimate from some training rides and club runs but would expect to go faster on a good road.

As suggested i will do some more 10's and try some 25's. Thanks for the advice.
    Orbea Marmolada (2009)

Kona Kula (1999)