Tubular repair services?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited May 2010 in Workshop
Can anyone recommend Peter Burgin Tubular-repairs .com? Is there anywhere else?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I know people who have used him and they say he is great.

I will be sending one of my tyres there shortly.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Pokerface wrote:
    I know people who have used him and they say he is great.

I will be sending one of my tyres there shortly.

That's good I've sent it. Thanks
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Anyone know if there is anyone in the UK still doing this? I think I used to use Brown's Tyres but the website seems to be down now.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,535
    not seen anyone offering for a while, link is quite old but you could try...
    http://mikesbikeshop.co.uk/DDT_ShowEntry_simple1?GalleryName=Main_News&EntryID=986&ImageSeqNo=1

it's pretty easy to diy...

strong needle and a thimble, small cutters (cut/remove stitching), scissors (cut patches of carcass), blunt blade (lift backing tape), bit of talc or chalk (to dust glued bits so they don't stick to other things)

patches/fluid from a decent puncture repair kit, i.e. rema tiptop sport, they're fine on latex tubes, or cut patches from an old latex tube, use the rema fluid to attach

bits of old cotton carcass are good for patching the inside of the tyre to prevent the tube being damaged by the old hole (stick with evostik)

dacron line is good for re-stitching, i use...
    https://www.troutcatchers.co.uk/snowbee-braided-dacron-backing-line-30lb-100m-c2x17499715

re-use the old holes in the carcass, it's must easier and you know the spacing is correct

i use evostik to reglue the base tape
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Great, thanks! I might give that link a go but if I have no luck I’ll try it myself.

It’s always been getting the base tape off that has seemed intimidating (I’m using vittoria corsa G2s), but I’ve never actually tried it. Plus knowing where the puncture is before starting (suspect it’s a pinch flat).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,535
    i noticed this is back up at he moment...
    http://www.tubular-tyre-repair.co.uk/

imo pinch flat in a road tub is unusual

if it deflates fast, you should be able to find by pumping up and listening, or brush water onto the rubber and look for bubbles

but if it's really slow, like just a pinhole (and not a loose valve core...) i'd just squirt some sealant in, tufo is the best i've ever found, used to be tufo extreme, about a third o a bottle is enough, the new equivalent is tufo carbon

my repair method...

with veloflex tubs which i think are similar construction, main thing is to be gentle with the base tape and not rush it, i lift the edge, picking at it with thumb/fingernail is enough to get started, then extend along and inwards, about 20cm gives enough room to work (centred on the puncture site)

then cut/unpick the stitches, if you don't need to patch the carcass, about 6-8cm is enough at least with a latex tube as they're so stretchy, might need more with butyl

veloflex have an extra cotton ribbon between the carcass stitching and the tube (stops the stitching damaging the latex), this needs unpicking too, but only along one edge, this ribbon might not be there on vittoria

drag out the tube and put something between tube/tyre to keep the tube outside and positioned with the puncture accessible, patch it, then pop it back in

make sure ribbon etc is in the right position, i sew up with a cross stitch, first go ///////// then back the other way \\\\\\\ to get an xxxxxxxx pattern, tie off, inflate a bit then glue the base tape on and leave to dry, ideally inflated on a rim

i used to worry about stitches too tight/loose distorting the tyre but found that just making the stitches snug enough to get the edges visibly 'pursed' works out ok once inflated

there're some pics here, slightly different stitching method...

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

there's also a huge tub repair thread on weight weenies, i read through it years ago to learn what to do

it's a lot easier than i'd expected, but boring, definitely for days when there's nothing else to do, good for the early km of stage races
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny