State of mind

ince
ince Posts: 289
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Today I am in a small amount of discomfort, my legs ache.

Yesterday I did a 60 mile ride into North Wales, 10 miles more than I have managed before. The route was from just out side of Chester to Ruthin, not a ride I had done and so did not know what to expect.

I knew there would be hills and decided I would just have to man up and get on with it. I live in Cheshire and so have not had much cause to over expose myself to hills and so have always had a bit of a mental block when it come to tackling the steep stuff.

Yesterday I beat the cr@p out of my mental block. Coming out of Ruthin on the A494 there is a 2 1/2 mile climb of over 700ft (according to bikehike). With the motivation from my fellow rider I got up the climb in one. :shock:

This made my day, I awoke this morning with the strange idea of wanting to go out and blitz all the hills I have ever had to stop on. I am now looking forward to the charity ride I am doing in two weeks with no fear of the hills it entails.

Hills, bring em on 8)

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I salute you mate. I'm partial to walking up the few inclines I come across in London.

Freely admit to being a wuss :)
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    ince wrote:
    Yesterday I beat the cr@p out of my mental block. Coming out of Ruthin on the A494 there is a 2 1/2 mile climb of over 700ft (according to bikehike). With the motivation from my fellow rider I got up the climb in one. :shock:

Hills, bring em on 8)
    Nice one. :) I remember when I was similarly satisfied when I first conquered a long climb like that. Now you have to find even harder ones to keep fighting. ;)

It still amazes me that most of getting up any hill on a bike is believing that you will.

Mike
  • Chapeau Ince : it's great to break a hoodoo :

Now you know you can do it you'll get up whatever's thrown in front of you :

:):):)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    Talking of which, anyone see that chap on Coubtryfile on Sunday evening riding up the Tumble, then off for some nightime MTB fun? Started suggesting to Mrs RJS that we should spend a holiday in the Brecon Beacons.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    There's this hill near where I lve and it *could* be included on the commute home:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... .9,,0,4.47

I really want to be able to cycle up this one ut fear I would run out of gears or sit there spinning away at 1mph
    :oops:

The worst of it was that I saw this girl cycle over the top of the hill this morning and the cow didn't even look out of breath. (stunning figure though!) I may have to try it to see if the whole thing is just psychological.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    You CANNOT allow your self to be beaten by a hill, least of all, one called Bunny Hill. Just take it steady and do not allow yourself to stop.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I rarely get above 5mph on a lot of the longer hills I've climbed. But I still get up them.

I also rarely look out of breath afterwards either because I go at a slow steady pace instead of standing on the pedals speeding up the hill.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    suzyb wrote:
    I rarely get above 5mph on a lot of the longer hills I've climbed. But I still get up them.

I also rarely look out of breath afterwards either because I go at a slow steady pace instead of standing on the pedals speeding up the hill.

Is this before or after you collapse at the side of the road with an audible whump? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    Here is that hill that was on Countryfile on Sunday:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=sa ... =en&tab=wl

Now there's a hill that requires some self-belief.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    Never mind about Bunny Bleedin Hill....

You CANNOT allow your self to be beaten by a girl :shock:
    I read that as "Benny Hill".

Now I've got an image of a caped CX rider puffing up a hill to the sound of Yakety Sax.
    Damn, that's going to a while to shift.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,196
    The worst of it was that I saw this girl cycle over the top of the hill this morning and the cow didn't even look out of breath. (stunning figure though!) I may have to try it to see if the whole thing is just psychological.
    Next time, draft her - it will give you the motivation to keep up (if not overtake) :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]