Need a bike

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, first post in the MTB section, I usually hang out in the road section :D .
I have decided to take my youngest daugher cycling and I don't want to take her on the road, so I was thinking some gentle, flatish trails routes. So I am going to need a bike to do that. I can't spend too much as most of my hard earned cash goes on the road stuff. I have a £100 voucher that I can use in a shop where i bought my last road bike. The guys sells Bianchis, but they are going to be out of my budget. I am not too sure what else it sells (though I have seen some MTB in his shop other than Bianchis). What type of bike should I look for, I have no intention at this stage on going hard. Any advice would be great.
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• If you're not going to be doing any serious off-road how about a hybrid? Being a roadie you might prefer the riding position on some of them...

In terms of budget MTBs, the Carrera vulcan is pretty good. Halford's sale ended today, mind, I think :? You'd be looking at paying £300+ for something half decent,
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Halfords's deal ends Tuesday. Can pick up that Vulcan for £247
  • jeannot18
    Unfortunately I will have to use my voucher of £100 (left over from my cycle to work voucher) and this limits me to the shop where I bought my road bike. I am sure that I have seen a couple of bike in the region of £190, I know that they won't be that great compared to others but for what i want to do this would be fine. What I may do is go to the shop this week and post back what models he has for my price range and maybe you guys can help me with my choice. I don't know anything about MTB and I am sure that like road bike you can start spending a fortune. Not sure the wife will be ok with that :roll:
    Thanks guys
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    for that money its best to go for a rigid bike, don't be tempted by front/full sus at that price it will just be rubbish and far to heavy plus on a rigid you'll get better components :)

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • jeannot18
    Hercule Q wrote:
    for that money its best to go for a rigid bike, don't be tempted by front/full sus at that price it will just be rubbish and far to heavy plus on a rigid you'll get better components :)

Thanks Hercule, this is the kind of advice I was after. Hopefully i should be able to ride a couple of bikes and get a feeling (last time i rode a MTB was in Center Park about 6/7 years ago).
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    no worries bud :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • jeannot18
    I went to the shop this morning and ended up taking a Claud Butler Montana. This was the entry level bike with the cheapest price (£199). So only had to pay £99 because of the voucher. I have not tried it yet for ride, but seems an ok bike for the money. I could have spend more and get a Bianchi for £329, but the solicitor fees to arrange a divorce would have been more... :D
    Probably taking it for a ride before the end of the week with my daughter, will be different than to jump on my Specialized and do 40/60 miles but I am sure that I will enjoy it very much.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Haha @ the divorce!