Replacing parts

Andy
Andy Posts: 8,207
edited May 2010 in MTB general
What is the recommendation for replacing parts that haven't been crashed. I've had a Ritchey WCS stem now for 5 Years and some EC90 CNT low rise bars for 3 years.

Neither have been crashed but was wondering when I should look to replace them as a safety measure?

Comments

• Dunno.... i'm running truvativ bars and stem on the Saracen that are about 8+ years old :lol:
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Hmm. Might just swap them anyway.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    go on you know you want to, nothing feels better than getting a shiny new part for your bike
  • Bungalow Bill
    Bungalow Bill Posts: 643
    I always thought swapping was when you had the money to do it =D
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I run retrobikes as well as moderns. One of my old Specializeds is from 1985, mostly original parts, and I regularly buy second hand parts between 10 an 20 years old.
    Never had a failure on anything crucial.
    I don't do any serious jumping, or heavy downhill, but do serious cross country.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, like cooldad says, a lot of people run retro parts, just swap them out when you want something better/more shiny or when it gets broken. It's probably still perfectly fine if you use it for the sort of riding that it was designed for. My pedals are about 5 years old, same for my rear mech and a couple of other parts, and they still function perfectly well.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I can't imagine there's a use by dates on parts, or the boxes they come in would be festooned with warnings to avoid legal action.

Aside from the few obvious exceptions (Helmets etc) my opinion is 'if it looks ok, it probably is'.