Helmets

Falling off
Falling off Posts: 4
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
I'm returning to cycling after approximately 10 years away from it.
Mainly for leisure and I'll be doing mainly road and soft trail riding, with and without the kids.
Can anyone recommend a decent helmet for under £50..?

I have a Giant Terrago disc so I thought I'd perhaps go down the Giant route.
Are they any good?

By the way try explaining to your wife when she finds out you've Googled "Giant Helmets"..!

Many thanks.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    One that you find comfy ?
  • for sub £50, halfords have some alright bell ones, such as the Slant, but yeah, you have to try them on and find out if they are comfy
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    Go to the newsagents on wednesday and buy MBUK magazine. They've done a helmet group test that'll tell you everything you need to know :)
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Make sure that you try a helmet on before you buy. A badly fitting helmet will offer little to no protection - and every helmet manufactrer has a slightly different head shape.
  • "Go to the newsagents on wednesday and buy MBUK magazine. They've done a helmet group test that'll tell you everything you need to know"

Cheers for that. I will do.

Bought the kids a couple of Helmets from Halfords at the weekend. They picked them because they liked the colours, as kids do.
    I didn't buy one for myself yet in case I bought a load of old tut.
    Did a bit of Googling, (which is how I found this website) to see if any are likely to fall apart. Not a lot of info from Google, so thought I'd ask you seasoned bikers.

Many thanks for your replies by the way.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Like other replies try before you buy,try some at halfords or bike shops and then go online to get the best price,a good fitting helmet and you will forget your wearing it,get a bad one and you will be constantly adjusting it while riding.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    bell and giro fit me fine, where as MET, dont, try before you buy, like the others have said
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Agrre with others, really have to try them on, and if you can get one you can replace the padding in when it gets worn.

Wore a Bell for about a year cos that was what the bike shop had, thought it was ok, then tried on a Giro (padding in Bell fell apart and wasnt replaceable) and all of a sudden it was like wow, this one really fits me.