Budget road wheels for commuting.

Canny Jock
Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Looking for a cheap shimano compatible wheelset for commuting purposes, what do you think of these:

£72.99 - Shimano R500

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31957

Or are these worth the extra - seem a bit lighter:

£99.99 Planet X model C

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... c-wheelset

Or anything else for less than £100 you would recommend?

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Just picked up the Planet C's, so far so good, no complaints!
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    These. I like the shallow rims over the deeper ones on the Model C (though I admit the deeper rim wasn't available when I got mine) and for me they've proven to be completely bombproof over the past 2 years (I'm 17 stone). Same weight as the Model C too, if not slightly lighter. I paid £200 for mine 2 years ago and would be happy to spend the same again on them. £100 is a proper bargain IMO.

Personally, for commuting duties I'd stick to as many spokes as possible. This comes from having a spoke breakage on a 24 spoke wheel. It went so far out of true the tyre rubbed the chainstay. No amount of nipple tweeking was getting it rideable which meant a looooong walk in Look cleats. Stick to 32 spokes if you can, that way if one goes you can generally get to work and back before sorting it. Either of those Planet X look good to me.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Look nice, nicer than whats on my std commuter, maybe i ought to get a pair as summer best and keep the old ones for winter.

mmm wonders how to get that one past the wife :roll:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Canny Jock
    Thanks System, didn't notice those and they look good.

Anyone used the Shimano R500? Think they come as standard on the baseAllez.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    R500s aren't bad, but aren't anything special. I'd want more spokes really, especially if just for commuting purposes.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I just got myself some RS10s for commuting/training/weekend roadie/sportive/...

500 miles in and so far so good. begining to worry less about the low spoke count now after they have not event shown a wobble or any loss of spoke tension.

Will probbaly give them a good once over in a couple of weeks but thats moslty because i'm very particular about my maintanace and will keep my mind at rest.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Canny Jock
    Cheers guys. Is spoke count weight dependent (I am only 10 stone) or more about pothole damage?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    whyamihere wrote:
    R500s aren't bad, but aren't anything special. I'd want more spokes really, especially if just for commuting purposes.

I'd go for a 32/36 spoke set of wheels, as you say for commuting. My commuter has 32 on each but cross-laced, is it called? Makes the wheel stronger when the spokes overlap.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Cheers guys. Is spoke count weight dependent (I am only 10 stone) or more about pothole damage?
    It's more about the ability to true the wheels. With a low number of spokes, a much larger part of the rim is positioned according to each spoke's tension. With lots of spokes, you can tension the spokes so that the wheel is exactly true much more easily.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    I'm around 10 stone as well, and have never had a problem with low spoke count. I had a pair of R560s, which have been replaced with a 2nd-hand pair of R550s following a couple of potholes denting both rims - both due to under inflated tyres; wheels stayed true though. Whyamihere makes a good point about re-truing with more spokes, though.

As regards crossed spokes, you have to have (at least some) crossed spokes on the rear wheel to transfer the rotational force through the hub to the rim and tyre. The front wheel only has to support your weight, so can get away with only radial spokes, but crossed will be tougher.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    The RS 500s can be bought cheaper on Ribble for 64
  • I've got rs20/10 combo on my bad weather bike - over 1000 miles on them and still totally true. My weight is 100kg +/- 5kg.
  • Canny Jock
    gbsahne wrote:
    The RS 500s can be bought cheaper on Ribble for 64

Cheers, but that is the collected price, with postage its similar I think?
  • gbsahne001
    OK, missed the collection small print; adds £9.50 to the price, so CR wins
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I have a set of RS20's on my commuter, paid £129 for them and touch wood they have coped with my 13+ st on my daily commute with out issue.

I was a little worried about the spoke count initially after reading some posts around the web. So far all I can say is that I am more than happy and would not worry about it again for future purchases.
  • Canny Jock
    whyamihere wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:
    It's more about the ability to true the wheels. With a low number of spokes, a much larger part of the rim is positioned according to each spoke's tension. With lots of spokes, you can tension the spokes so that the wheel is exactly true much more easily.

Ah, I see. Guess I'm leaning towards the Planet X options then, although ebay may have just given me another option...
  • gbsahne001
    ebay is a viable option provided you dont get carried away I've found. I picked up a set of RS 20s for £40, still running fine after nearly 1000 miles.