Carrera upgrade

retap
retap Posts: 8
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
having purchased a carrera Vulcan V spec as a beginner,I Find I am outgrowing the bike at a fast rate.can i upgrade the bike to disc brakes,decent forks etc or do I bite the bullet and change to a fury,which seems to get rave reviews,while having the same frame
my biking is varied,forrest trails,with the odd trip to Glentress etc.
many thanks

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Fury may be a good option but if you are close to Glentress go and try one of the Kona Caldera's.

They are a bargain and cheaper than a Fury but better specced with Rock Shox Toras, Shimano XT/Deore kit etc etc
  • The Fury isn't the same frame. It's beefier than the Vulcan, and built for up to 140mm travel.

The choice is yours though. The vulcan's a decent bike. It'll take disc brakes, and a better fork would see it coming to life more. But it's hard to justify to yourself the money on upgrades when it's just a Vulcan. If you see yourself riding for years to come, then maybe a new bike isn't a bad idea.
  • willing
    willing Posts: 61
    I started on the Vulcan upgrade route. £200 for discs/wheels to start with. The v-brakes and wheels I replaced aren,t worth much to sell. I thought about upgrading the fork but then I'd have a crap fork to do something with.
    I ended up buying another bike.Much better idea imo.
    I got a s/h 09 Fury,like new,with Raceface seatpost and stem. Hope seatclamp and better pedals. All for £430. The bike is a cracker :D

Nig.
  • retap
    retap Posts: 8
    thanks for the info and advice
    hoping to go to Glentress next weekend,I`ll give the Kona a go
    cheers