What Size of Wheels

mrwebbie
mrwebbie Posts: 14
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
As i am currently about to start building a bike out of well cheap/free parts to try and save money i am looking to see what the best types of wheels for me to try and source :lol:

i am about 6" and about 15st, frame size is approx 20" and isnt very light. i am unsure what the bike will be used for exactly, just basicly getting me outdoors again wether it be on a track or street

so what size of wheels do you feel i would be better with?

webbie

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    whatever size the frame is designed for.

so 26" if it is an average MTB.

Or are you really asking something totally different?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrwebbie
    mrwebbie Posts: 14
    well i have just been given a set from a friend and the are 22" so really just seeing if there is a average size for bikes or if its just horse for courses so it say.

will keep my eyes peeled for a set of 26" though thanks
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    26" is normal MTB size. The frame will be designed for a certain size, if it's a normal MTB then it'll need 26". 22 might be BMX/Dirt jump wheels.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    22 is some oddball BMX size that are rather uncommon.

What is the frame?

pics...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • As a rule of thumb, MTBs use 26" wheels. There's exceptions - 29ers, 700c, 24" (google them).

But the frame will be designed to take a particular size. Usually 26". You can't pick and choose.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    nicklouse wrote:
    22 is some oddball BMX size that are rather uncommon.

Or the OP has measured a '26 inch' MTB wheel without a tyre on it :wink:

I though the OP was asking for width or hub, rim or spokes etc.. owing to his weight.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • nicklouse
    captainfly
    true they are about 22,5"

mrwebbie
    have a read of this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html

for info on rim sizing.

but again more info in the frame/bike for what it will take.

you will also have to consider the hub width as well as there are differences.