Mavic Aksium spoke adjustment

Bassjunkieuk
Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
edited May 2010 in The workshop
After replacing the chain, cassette and tyres on my bike today I was giving the wheels a clean and noticed I have one rather loose spoke on the non-drive side of my rear Aksium.

I tried tightening the spoke but it doesn't seem to have any effect and I thought I might have been going the wrong way so tried turning the other way but still not tightening up :-(

I thought it might be that it's so loose the nipple might be slipping in the rim so stripped the wheel down so I could remove the rim tape to have a look but couldn't see it behaving any different to other spokes if I gave them a small tweak. I did notice the spoke certainly wasn't as loose without the tyre/innertube on, presumably as with it pumped upto 100PSI it compresses the rim a bit!

Does anyone have any advice asides from leave it to the pro's? I'm not using the bike for commuting this week so can drop the wheel into a bike shop (Woking Evans) if need be......
Who's the daddy?
Twitter, Videos & Blog
Player of THE GAME
Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well they are straight pull spokes are they not? so you need yo hold them to stop rotation.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bassjunkieuk
    nicklouse wrote:
    well they are straight pull spokes are they not? so you need yo hold them to stop rotation.

That would make sense thinking about it......would pliers and card/something to protect the spoke, be best way to go?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is a way to hold them. the mavic tool is basically a slot cut in some alloy.

something you dont have to put pressure on would be best.

EG:

Mavic%20Shimano%20Spoke%20Key.JPG
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    nicklouse wrote:

That would make sense thinking about it......would pliers and card/something to protect the spoke, be best way to go?

That worked for me when I was tweaking the spokes on mine. Just make sure that the spoke nipple is moving freely before you apply a lot of force or you can easily put a twist in the spoke. I suspect a notch cut in a small piece of wood might work as well.

Mike
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Looks like I'm going to be leaving this to the pro's!
    The ride this morning was going swimmingly until I walloped a rock on a descent, cue a rather instantaneous deflation of the rear tyre :-(
    After replacing the tube and carrying on down the hill the wheel was making a new rattling noise, further inspection shows 2 loose spokes now :cry:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5