recommend a tyre

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
folks

picking up new giant defy 3 road bike in next cpl of weeks

looking to replace the tyres and make them more puncture proof
for my 26 mile commute..mixture of road and cycle path...the cycle path is in better condition than the road!!!!
lbs recommends panracer ribmo 700 x 25c

any other recommendations??

cheers

Comments

• cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Those look fine , i run conti gator skins myself
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Conti ... 360028710/
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    Conti Ultra Gator Skin here (26" rims, dunno if available for 700) and not a puncture yet over roads.
    ChrisM
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I run Gatorskins but be aware that, in standard form at least (as opposed to any hard case) they're susceptible to pinch flats (if you aren't sensible on the bumpy stuff).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Paging Benno, paging Benno...

I think Benno changed his Defy tyres, but he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

I used to run 23mm non-folding Gatorskins. I got 6,000 odd miles out of them, but I suffered a string of fairy visits.

Now, I'm running Schwalbe Durano Pluses. They are a far superior tyre.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    cjcp wrote:

In what way? (genuine interest)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:

In what way? (genuine interest)

Fair point - I should have provided more detail :).

I've used both, primarily for commuting, but also for early season/winter sportives and training around the local park in all sorts of weather. The road surface in that park was appalling this winter - chippings, ruts, bits of tar; so bad, that the surface is being replaced this year.

The Duranos are much tougher. I got 6,000-odd miles out of my Gatorskins 23mm non-folding tyres, but had a lot of visits from the PF. I had seven in 6-7 days at one point. The wear on the tread was visible, but I pressed on for another 3 months or so out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

I bought the Duranos in December and have yet to receive a visit from the PF. That's the first time I've said that, so that's jinxed it :), but that's oer 2,000 miles in winter/early spring conditions. There are a few cuts in them, but the tyre is not as worn. I run them at 100psi and while they are a firm ride, but I'm happy to take this for reliability and have had no issues over grip in the wet - you just takes corners more sensibly, right? (That said, I do notice that my GP4000Ss grip much more, but are more vulnerable to PF visits on winter roads.) A decent seatpost and saddle sorts out most of the road buzz for me, too.

I'm definitely buying another paid when these go.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    Continental GP 4000 4 Season would be my choice

Before I had a puncture every week or so... since I got them (7 months ago) none/nada/zilch :)

They are virtually indestructible: Kevlar layer stops almost any object trying to puncture the tyre, even if it goes through the outer rubber layer.

The only maintenance is required is occasionally having to remove bits of metal/glass stuck in the outer rubber layer... and they do tend to accumulate a lot if it.

They cost a bit more than Gatorskins though...
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Conti GP4000 without a doubt. They're pricey but well worth it. They're really strong but also corner brilliantly. I don't think I'd ever use anything else.

Linky to tyre tests : Tour Magazine Test
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    If you have a Decathlon near to you - Michelin Krylion (yellow edging) (700x23) ~24pounds are good.

With riding in Nottingham I always found its not the normal "mileage" wear that does your tyres in but the bits of glass you inevitably pick up over time which takes its toll. Eventually your tyres may look like a pepper pot but as long as you pick out the glass regularly they should be OK.

Used a Continental 4 season which was also good 30pounds+ but that got written off by a big bit of glass/stonedamage - so too expensive for me. You can probably get these at a better price from off the Internet.

I used 26"x1.125 Gatorskin before - similar price, slightly cheaper maybe but I found them slippy in the wet so I haven't bothered with them on my 700 wheel bike.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    durano plussssss are the most puncture resistant road tyre without a shadow of a doubt.

due to the rubber band unless you ride over a nail or something comes in through the side wall you wont puncture them. and they run flat as well.
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    From all the reviews I have just looked at maybe I should give these Schwalbe tyres a go.
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    cheers folks

im going to give the ribmos a shot
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    I always use Armadillos, which I like for their puncture resistance, but I note that they are NEVER recommended here... Are others significantly better?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got Durano Plus' on the fixie; not the quickest tyre in the world but as close to bullet proof as you can get. The Plus' are replacing GP4000 tyres; light, gippy and made from cheese. Sometimes I would get three or four punctures a week (although I was possibly running them at too high a pressure).

On the road bike I started with gatorskins, but they just cut up constantly. If I didn't know better I'd say someone was riding them on some kind of turbo train / cheesegrater device when I wasn't around. Replaced them with Krylion Carbons and couldn't be happier. Still have occasional unscheduled deflations, but within acceptable limits.

I've got a paor of GP4000S on the S1. Not ridden them yet so don't know how they are.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    WesternWay wrote:
    I always use Armadillos, which I like for their puncture resistance, but I note that they are NEVER recommended here... Are others significantly better?
    thats because they are dog turd in the wet
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Panaracer Stratius Pro are very fast, good grip, comfortable and I've had 1 puncture in 3000km commuting. I have these on my summer commute Orbea road bike

Mostly I use schwalbe marathon plus for commuting. These are on my winter bike. They wouldn't be so great on your Giant road bike IMHO. They are uncomfortable and slow. No punctures in 10,000km however
  • vorsprung
    spasypaddy wrote:
    durano plussssss are the most puncture resistant road tyre without a shadow of a doubt.

Bring over your durano plusses and a crate of beer

Drink the beer, smash the bottles in the road and we'lll see if they are more puncture resistant than a marathon plus
  • spasypaddy
    vorsprung wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Drink the beer, smash the bottles in the road and we'lll see if they are more puncture resistant than a marathon plus
    its essentially the same tyre :? but id classify the marathon plus as a hybrid tyre rather than a road tyre.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    spasypaddy wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

its essentially the same tyre :? but id classify the marathon plus as a hybrid tyre rather than a road tyre.

Part tyre, part nuclear bunker.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vorsprung
    spasypaddy wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Ah, fairy nuff then
    I have them in 28mm on a Cotic Roadrat, which has cross bike tyre clearances
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    WesternWay wrote:

If you used the SEARCH function you'd see they have been recommended, rightly so, I have two of the semi-slicks on my mtb and you can't beat them, good for all weathers.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    spasypaddy wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

yup, worth also noting that the plus has a much thicker rubber band. it's also size for size a fair bit heaver.