remove and replace Race Face Evolve Isis chainset

paulswilliams2
paulswilliams2 Posts: 137
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, went out on my P7 for the first time in 3 months friday. Phase 2 of Follow the Dog/ Cannock Chase. Brilliant, except for s****d BB.

Now, I am new to Isis, but tried to remove the Race Face crank today. However, my old stylee crank extractor doesn't work as there is nothing inside for it to push against. I have seen the new Park Universal tool that will do the job, but wanted to complete the job today, and am out of reach of a stocking LBS. Any advise on how to remove them?

2nd question. When I have removed them, and get the old BB out, I will need to replace at least the BB. My LBS was impressed that I managed to get 2 years out of my old race face BB, so I am thinking that ISIS is c**p. However, to replace ISIS, I will need new chainset, so whats the general consensus as a replacement for ~80 quid, or should I just replace the BB like for like and save for a good dedicated SS chainset in 6 months when the next BB is shagged..

I just want to ride my bike ;)

</rant>

Comments

• Oh, and if I replace with external shimano chainset / bb, I presume I need my frame facing - is this expensive?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need an ISIS end for your old puller or a new puller.

yes you will need it facing and new tools as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • what you need is the self extracting nut combo ... the one that Orange also seemed to forget to fit to my Raceface crank set ...

No puller or crank extractor is going to move it. I know, I bought loads of them as I was given the same advice as you.
    Chain reaction have them and they're not very expensive
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • nicklouse
    No puller or crank extractor is going to move it. I know, I bought loads of them as I was given the same advice as you.

sorry bollocks

Any ISIS Octlink compatable puller will do the job.

CWP7_CCP44.jpg

how to

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

yes self extracting bolts can and do work but I have seen more cranks damaged with them failing and then we have to use a crank puller to remove the arms.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Regarding BB's, my LBS (the hub at glentress) seem to rate Race Face ISIS BB's really highly and also the Superstar one is very highly rated and only costs about 30 quid.

Worth a shot a think
  • nicklouse wrote:

sorry bollocks

Any ISIS Octlink compatable puller will do the job.

CWP7_CCP44.jpg

how to

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

yes self extracting bolts can and do work but I have seen more cranks damaged with them failing and then we have to use a crank puller to remove the arms.

a) do a search - I had the same problem and got the same answers. Mine was nominated at a Raceface X time , fited to a patriot
    b) I have the above tool , down in my garage - it did not work. I spent a lot of readies on crank extractors. I'm try to save others money ...
    c) The diameter of the threaded part of a RaceFace is a good few mm bigger that that ...

Hell, but you're the tech expert :roll:
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    it varies with the MY the newer 08? ones use a standard crank extractor. The older ones dont as the hole is to large.
  • nicklouse
    the ISIS with standard bolt uses the standard fitting 22mm the standard puller thread.

it is ONLY the self extracting bolt that uses the 27mm thread and there is no puller available for that.

FSA uses a 27mm thread for the retaining ring in a right hand thread. Race Face uses a 27mm thread in a left-hand thread. No puller is available in the 27mm sizing. and the rest use the standard 22mm X 1 thread.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    The Crank Bros Cobalt ISIS BB has a 5 year warranty on it :shock:

I have a Ti one of these fitted to my SS atm, previously had an FSA one that lasted about a year. For sure I don't expect it to last for 5 years, will be interesting to see how well they stand behind the warranty when it blows.

/edit; as for pulling the cranks, I use self extractors. A bit of a pain to get fitted the first time (didn't have the correct pin tool to set the donut washer properly) but once in all good
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day