How do I make my bike more comfortable

birdy247
birdy247 Posts: 454
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I have converted a 1970's fixie in to a single speed. It goes very nicley and is the right size for me, however, it is no where near as comfy as my proper road bike.

I have replaced the saddle and seat post, however, the handle bars and stem are original (very narrow and low).

What would you recommend changing to make it more comfy?

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    The handlebars and the stem.... :P
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    That depends on the way in which it's uncomfortable. What hurts? Wrists, back, rear end?
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    It just doesnt feel comfortable. I constantly fidget around the saddle, whereas on my road bike can do 5 hour rides no problem.

It may sound weird, but i dont feel symetrical on the bike.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    could just be a familiarity thing if its a new build and you're so comfortable on your road bike.

I have a regular bike and a few occasionals and they all feel different to me and different bits can ache with different bikes.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    You're probably just used to the roadie. I'd imagine that once you get more used to the fixie that it will feel second nature to ride on it. I felt the same when I switched from flatbar to the kona jake, but nearly 2 years on it feels natural
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    padded undershorts 8)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    birdy247 wrote:
    It just doesnt feel comfortable. I constantly fidget around the saddle, whereas on my road bike can do 5 hour rides no problem.

It may sound weird, but i dont feel symetrical on the bike.

Is it symmetrical? Is the seat angled to one side (or is your other seat angled)? what about the bars, are they centred or angled forwards?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    birdy247 wrote:
    I have converted a 1970's fixie in to a single speed. It goes very nicley and is the right size for me, however, it is no where near as comfy as my proper road bike.

I have replaced the saddle and seat post, however, the handle bars and stem are original (very narrow and low).

What would you recommend changing to make it more comfy?

My next door neighbour has a similar bike - a 1940s-1950s style TT bike. I would:

1. raise the bars;
    2. widen the bars a cm or two; and
    3. change the saddle.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    well i would make sure the angles are the same. Are you in the same position on this vs your road bike? If not, what can you change? Saddle height, position, angle? Bar height, position? Stem angle, length?

Not much else to look at and yes, as per jimmy, is it actually straight or has the frame taken a whack somewhere during its long history?
    FCN = 4