Romandie Stage 5 **Spoiler**

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2010 in Pro race
122km with three climbs, the last about 20km from the finish.

Profile:
http://www.steephill.tv/2010/tour-de-ro ... file-5.jpg

Lots of abandons in this very rainy stage:
Gilbert (OLO), Stauff et Kunitski (QST), Grabsch, Hansen, Rabon et Renshaw (THR), Fischer (GRM), Hunter (GRM), Forster, Fothen et Roels (MRM), Van Winden, Flens et Stamsnijder (RAB), Sabatini (LIQ), Elijzen (OLO), Cobo (GCE), Kennaugh (SKY) Pujol et Denifl (CTT) Haedo, Larsson et Marycz (SAX) Gourov, Davis, Maxim et Iglinskiy (SAX)

So Rogers doesn't have much support left. Caisse riding strongly for Valverde and they have now caught the breakaway.

Kreuziger didn't start.

First hour of the race was only 27km/h
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• frenchfighter
    On the final climb now. Machado attacks the lead group of about 20 riders. Sagan in difficulty.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Anton bridged and attacked and is in the lead solo.

Valverde, Spilak et Menchov attacked also and are gaining on Anton.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    General classification after stage 4
    1 Michael Rogers (HTC-Columbia) 9:56:03
    2 Alexander Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) + 0:01
    3 Simon Spilak (Lampre) + 0:05
    4 Vladimir Karpets (Katusha) + 0:07
    5 Denis Menchov (Rabobanbk) + 0:11
    6 Janez Brajkovic (RadioShack) + 0:17
    7 Richie Porte (Saxo Bank) + 0:19
    8 Christophe Moreau (Caisse d'Epargne) + 0:26
    9 Tiago Machado (Team Radioshack) + 0:41
    10 Peter Sagan (Liquigas)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Valv.piti on his way to winning another race that he shouldn't
  • frenchfighter
    At the top of the climb:
    Igor Anton. à 21" Valverde, Spilak et Menchov. à 48" Rogers, Machado, Brajkovic, Gadret et Marcel Wyss.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Live feeds?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • takethehighroad
    Nope, on Twitter @procyclinglive
  • frenchfighter
    Can't get any feeds. Maybe because the conditions are so bad.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Brajkovic punctured on the descent.

Menchov dropped on the descent....no surprises.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Anton caught by Valverde and Spilak with 13km to race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    Valv wins the sprint prime for 3 bonus seconds. Now leader on the road and on time too, Spillak 5 secs behind,. Menchov @ 11".

Rogers group closing to 30secs with 5 k left
  • frenchfighter
    Menchov back on. Valverde took the intermediate sprint so is now virtual leader. Rogers back about 50 secs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Anton attacks 500m from the line.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    Valv wins sprint and GC.

I vomit in my mouth
  • frenchfighter
    Valverde takes the stage and overall.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    Nice job Valverde and Spilak for taking 2nd place. If you want something you don't be defensive you go out, attack and get it if you can, even in poor conditions. Nice to see Anton out there attacking and making things interesting like he has done several times this year.

Valverde racking up the wins like the other champion racers
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    Pretty poor visibility during the stage
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    On the comics report of the race, they mention if Valv.Piti's ban is extended, he'll probably be stripped of all of his wins from May 11 09 til now.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    iainf72 wrote:
    On the comics report of the race, they mention if Valv.Piti's ban is extended, he'll probably be stripped of all of his wins from May 11 09 til now.

oh my...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:

Oh yay. Another 3 years of court cases trying to get the prize money back.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I trust that won't affect PTP points though. 8) :lol:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pokerface wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I trust that won't affect PTP points though. 8) :lol:

I'll be forced to invoke the Floyd Landis Rule, which was created in the inaugural PTP competition in 2006. NO RECALCULATIONS.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    oh dear,more embarrassment heaped on the cycling world.
    I tuned out when it looked like a known doper would win yet another race.
    Hang your heads in shame those of you who support and therefore condone valverde and his antics.
    Who said cheaters never prosper
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Finally, Eurosport watched. Ummmm, our illustrious commentary duo.
    BS: Spilak finished 2nd in the GC, right?
    Sitting up and not working, so as to miraculously somehow beat Mr Valverde?
    Would have finished 3rd. :oops:
    DH: seems to find Piti far more palatable than Vino. Positively glowing.
    Mind you, did I hear a backhanded swipe at USPS/Disco being "medically enhanced" for the Tour? I think I did.
    So, why would that leopard have changed it's spots, Mr H, seeing that we now have old geezers riping the legs off the field?

Oh well...........anyhow, that was one wicked ramp they threw in.
    Once again, Mick Rogers shows how to be the nearly man.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Spilak was sent home from the worlds a few years ago for a high haematocrit. Looked very strong in Romandie, an outsider for the Giro now.
  • frenchfighter
    Glad Anton didn't knick the win - he didn't take any pulls for at least the last 8km then tries to jump and take the win - not very admirable riding. Valverde and Menchov doing the lion's share:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2eOje5FqDc
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Glad Anton didn't knick the win - he didn't take any pulls for at least the last 8km then tries to jump and take the win - not very admirable riding. Valverde and Menchov doing the lion's share:

Bit like Valvderde sat on Gilbert and Evans at Liege then? Valverde, Menchov and Spilak were going for GC placings, Anton can sit on for the stage win if he wants, it's up to the other riders in the break to do something about it if they're not happy...
  • frenchfighter

Bit like Valvderde sat on Gilbert and Evans at Liege then? Valverde, Menchov and Spilak were going for GC placings, Anton can sit on for the stage win if he wants, it's up to the other riders in the break to do something about it if they're not happy...

This debate comes up often and I am not going to continue it again. I don't lie it when riders so that, simple as that. As for Valverde in Liege, look at the replay, he did his turns, maybe not as much as Gilbert (who was arguably more motivated not having won it twice already like Valverde). He also led out the last 500m or so (slow) then won the sprint. VERY different to Anton.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

This debate comes up often and I am not going to continue it again. t.

It comes up often because of your complete ignorance of how the sport works.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Do you have a YouTube clip of Anton riding off the front on his own after opening up a 20s lead on the climb? He broke up the field and then he was a bit tired. He'd already done his work. This isn't an XBox game, you know.
    Twitter: @RichN95