tuning for beginners

pedal bob
pedal bob Posts: 4
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Just been reading an article where suspension designers were apparently annoyed at riders for accepting the shop set default settings and not tuning their suspension to suit their riding style and/or the trail conditions.

I have been wondering about this myself as my super new shinny FSB floats over the ground but seems ‘dead’ compared with my ten year old ‘pogo stick’ suspension bike. On the old bike I can jump sideways to position myself on the trail but the new bike feels unresponsive and refuses to leave the ground which leaves me having to find a place to ride out of vehicle ruts rather than jump out. I can use the spring rebound on the old bike to get me airborne but the new bike absorbs so much in both compression and rebound that I cant do this. The new bike on the other hand is defiantly faster as it just floats across ground that will loosen your teeth fillings on the old bike. I assume that comparing elastomer and spring suspension with air chamber adjustable suspension is an unfair comparison and that riding style will just have to be adjusted.

I know this is a very subjective question but are there any noticeable improvements to be made over default settings and if so how do I set about ‘tuning’ my new suspension for me and my riding style and the places where I ride?
Is there a ‘system/technique’ for tuning suspension?
Are shock pumps calibrated and do they give consistent readings?
Is life too short for this and better spent just riding – suspect I already know the answer to that?

Set up is RS Reba forks with Fox Float R shock.

Regards
PB
ad augusta per angusta

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you cannot get the settings you want from your shock, send it away to be tuned.

It is all personal preference. Most people set the sag first, then the rebound, then experiment with compression damping.

Try 25% sag to start. For a more supple ride, try 30%. For a firmer ride 20, or even 15%.

You should have a rebound adjuster, though compression damping may be factory set.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It does seem like what you're complaining about is the suspension working effectively. The tricks you could use to take advantage of the old suspension's tricks won't work with most decent suspension, you might be able to set the new stuff up very badly to get the same results but it seems a shame.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you have gone from an HT to a fully and are trying to ride the same way.

it does not work. You can not push of the rear wheel as guess whet the suspension compresses.

set you sag and then go an play on the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    It's a new relationship with a new bike, gite things time and you'll soon get used to the bike's handling characteristics and adjust your riding style accordingly
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    set your sag to 20-30 % and then set the rebound, personally i like the rebound as fast i posible that doesnt kick back harshly.
    I like bikes and stuff