15x2 commute bike help

22lgm
22lgm Posts: 7
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
hi
After commuting for 10years on a 5mile there and back town route. I have had to change jobs. Now the commute is currently by car and a 30mile round trip. Thought about cycling but the routes, are fairly undulating and quite busy with traffic on narrow country roads between Farnborugh and Reading.
My trusty steed for the short town commutes was my Orange c16. I don't like pain, so looking for something a little more speedy, so looking at road bikes. Initial thoughts are the boardman team carbon, genesis equilibruim. I just want a bike that will get me from a to b as quick as i can make it, releatively fuss free and provide a smooth ride.

looked at few post and hadn't really thought of cross bikes, would these be a more suitable choice?

looking to buy as part of a cycle to work scheme so 1k is the max

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    Have yet to hear a bad word about the Boardman road bikes. A colleague at work has just bought the Team version, and rates it above the Condor Italia he had before. The Equilibrium is a lovely looking bike and was favourably reviewed in a couple of magazines. I'd probably be tempted by this as I'm a bit of a steel fan, but more important than that is what fits/suits you. It's been said before, but try and test ride the two bikes and as many other similar bikes as you can. If you are going to be sitting on it for a couple of hours a day, it needs to be right.

As for CX bikes, it depends on the state of the roads where you are as to whether the extra ruggedness is useful. Oh, and you'll have to get a cloak :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • 22lgm
    22lgm Posts: 7
    Test I must. My Orange has just served me so beautifully over the years and it's steel, I must admit I have a preference to steel. I presume these carbon things take mudgards and the like?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Here's a review of the Genesis:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... m-10-36088

Gotta say, it looks lovely. I think I like the look more than the Boardman.

This is a personal preference, but I prefer not to use my carbon bike for the bike. I have an alu bike for my 30 mile round trip.

I've used a cross bike, too, but I sound like a stuck record when I say this, but I don't like canti brakes, particularly in the wet. A cross bike with disc brakes wou d be better e.g. the Genesis Croix de Fer.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    mmm croix de fer. Thats what im going to be doing my 50 mile commute on after i sort the house out. Really nice bike.