maxxis detonators 700 * 28

domjon
domjon Posts: 25
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
anyone any experience of these tyres? They come as stock with the boardman urban range. I've had mine a week and they seem great on the road in both wet and dry...happy with them so far despite some negative reviews. However on one of my routes there's an 8 mile stretch of canal towpath I'd like to utilise...are these likely to stand up to the test or am I better off switching to 28mm marathons. I'm planning to have a go on the maxxis next week but I'll be twenty miles or so from home by the time I'm on the canal so if it's a really bad ideait would be good to know beforehand.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,196
    I took mine off soon after I got my Boardman as I wanted fatter tyres for comfort etc. IIRC the Detonators are not meant to be extra puncture resistant so what you could do is get the marathons fitted and use the detonators as your spare set.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    I took them off as well after countless punctures from glass and thorns etc.

Now running Gatorskins (28mm) which seem fine so far.....famous final words no doubt!
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Yes they are called detonators for a reason! lol
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    I also took them off my Boardman, I replaced them with Marathon Plus's and love them soo much. I now don't ever carry a punture repair kit with me, as there is no need. I strongly reconmend them.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • domjon
    domjon Posts: 25
    thanks folks, was hoping someone was going to come along and say 'ignore the bad reviews they're brilliant' but condemnation seems fairly universal. I've ordered some of the standard marathons...if they're hellishly slow they can always come off again.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I put marathon plus on my Boardman hybrid and there`s no difference in speed to the detonators