It was bound to happen eventually... I dropped my bike

mazule
mazule Posts: 54
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I dropped my bike on the way home on Thursday
:cry:

No one else to blame (except maybe the weather gods - and their evil Earth dwelling agents, the Met Office) but I.

On the home-bound part of my commute there is an innocuous looking corner at the bottom of a hill. It didn't feel like I was going too quickly (certainly slower than I usually go) but the front wheel washed out and I went 7 to 10 metres along the road on my left thigh.

I suspect that the reason it was sooooo slippery was that it hadn't rained prior to that morning for ages and the rain brought all the oil/diesel/crap up out of the tar to the surface.

Like a good responsible owner I put my body between the bike and the road to protect her from the worst of it, even though it was her stupid front tyre letting go that got us into this mess in the first place.

Oh well... time for some quality time internet shopping. I need to procure a new lid, bar tape, bar end plugs and another dry bag from alpkit. So much for this cycle commuting lark saving me money.

Mazule (slightly bruised and limping)

Comments

• merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Poor you. Hope the gravel rash isn't too bad. :(
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Second "Ouch!" for the day. Very selfless of you to throw yourself between bike and road. Had a similar "off" in January, but didn't slide anywhere near that far. You got any road in your left thigh?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Count yourself lucky you slid, I stopped quite suddenly breaking my wrist in the process.

That was 2 months ago and I'm back commuting now, all be it a tad nervous.

Hope you heal quickly, And enjoy spending some money (think of it as a treat)
  • milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    You've done a 10m slide and got only bruises? I take it you don't wear shorts.

My 3m slide in February resulted in a broken rib. I slipped on a patch of ice, on junction corner, in the middle of a sprint. No damage to my bike tough - I cushioned it's fall with my - ribcage :).

Broken rib was a bit of a nag: it hurt like hell when laughing, sneezing, coughing, lying in bed, breathing... :)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Next time, try to crash outside a Junior school, just as they go out for some field-work.

You'lll get a nice soft landing on all their flexible newly forming bones, ligaments, tendons...