dt swiss xr400/4.2

richg1979
richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited May 2010 in MTB general
how durable are these rims? will thay take general trail abuse with small jumps n drops? 14stone rider weight.

currently running 5.1d with no probs what so ever just thought i may be better off with a lighter rim.

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Nope well not for me i completely mullered one with some spirited xc riding, and im 13st.

I would suggest mavic x717's they lasted me years and there's very little difference.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    They may be ok.

Depends how smooth you are, I have seen people doing the freeride park at Glentress fine in them and people doing trials with them to great effect but I have also seen people who have destroyed them on the red route
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You mean these rims?

th_SL733162.jpg
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    my rear one has held up pretty well over the last few years. been to the peaks, coed-y-brenin and countless miles around the north & and south downs and east midland. Used on a hardtail, I'm about 12 stone (depending on time of year) and while I'm not the mental of riders I wouldn't say I'm nice to my wheels either.

On the other hand, I'm on my third front in the same time. The first was excusable- it got all my weight landing on it at full tilt whilst trapped between roots at 45 degrees to my landing line. Show me a rim of reasonable weight that'll survive that and I'll be impressed. The second happened on a slippery downhill on the south downs, and I'm still not sure how. That said, I managed 35 miles to Eastbourne on the partially re-straightened wheel, and the replacement has been impeccable in the nearly two years I've had it
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    edited May 2010
    Front Hope 2/DT Swiss XR4.2Ds weigh 931g inc a 160mm Hope Disc, Hope 2/Mavic 717 inc Formula 180mm disc weighs 938g - so nothing in it. 717 is supposed to be stronger and recommended by my LBS - 717 rims are also a lot easier to get tyres on/off than the DT Swiss rims. I've not bent either type of rim on a Commie Meta 5 with 2.2 tyres on but then I don't ride very aggressively but do small jumps/drops etc on red/black routes., natural rocky trails, rock gardens, Alps etc without busting them yet.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    Been running a set of Hope Hoops with the newer XR400's for about 6 months now without any problems. I do some very rocky trails in the Peaks and they're still as straight as the day I bought them.