Drop bar brake levers: adjust "slack" reach

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited December 2010 in The workshop
I've got some Shimano 105 levers. Is it possible to adjust the "neutral" position? I'd like to bring the levers closer to the bars as they're just slightly too far away to grab easily when I'd need them. Maybe I've got short hands, or the pads in gloves are pushing my hands back.

I've tried searching bicycletutor, and looked at the caliper brake adjustment, and the bar-wrapping video, but they don't show much. Am I using the wrong search terms?

They're the "current" model Shimano 105 levers, well, whatever came with a Specialized Roubaix bought August 2009.

Thanks for any hints.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... r-ec008424

You pop those in between the hood and the lever, and it stops the lever retracting fully.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ahah, stick a shim in it. Lovely. Thanks; off for a quick pootle to the LBS.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Spawn3323
    Spawn3323 Posts: 22
    Let me know how u get on with these as I am having the same problem on my allez. Also will they fit shimano 2300 STI levers?
  • Spawn3323
    Spawn3323 Posts: 22
    I bought some. They don't fit mine. Any ideas how to adjust mine?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i've just bought a second hand bike with campag daytona levers,. i cant brake while on the drops, any ideas if/ how i can bring the levers closer to the bars?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Park Tools website section on brakes mentions an adjuster screw on one particular type of Shimano brakes. May be the others are similar? Alternatively see if you can download a Shimano service manual from their website.

Edit: Just looked myself to find the link, doesn't look hopeful for my version of the Tiagra levers at least.
    Steve C
  • Intrestingly, Specialized road bikes should come with these shims 'in the box'. I'd ask the shop where you got the bike from, if I were you...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc