500 Mile full check over, Mumma mia !!!

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Started the 500 mile full check over last night. I check the bike every week for simple things, brake adjustment tyres etc. However, approx evey 500 miles or 6 weeks-ish I do a fairly full check over.

Blimey O'Riley, last night I found 2 broken spokes and a cracked disk !

Just wondered, how often/distant covered do other commuters check their bikes ?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    When I have time, which is not as often as I should. You've been riding around with two broken spokes and didn't notice :shock: ??!! Every time I've broken a spoke, the wheel has gone out of true to the extent that it was barely rideable (loads of brake rub), but I guess with disc brakes you wouldn't get that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I'm always looking and listening, spot most things as or before they happen (loose bolts etc.). When I do a full chain/cassette clean and re-oil I tend to go around with an Allen key checking everything if I have time.

Regular (and therefore preventative) maintenance should pick up most things.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    nothing as bad as that, bike is a bit of big heavy brute though, last 500 miles i've changed the brake pads and pumped, up the tires once.
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Just wondered, how often/distant covered do other commuters check their bikes ?

erm :? Whenever a scary noise warrants investigation; which isn't too often to be honest.

I'll have a good look at stuff when I wash it I suppose, but that's not as often as it should be.

I need to take my tyres off and check the rims, I do know that... done thousands of miles on them, must be getting thin :shock:
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I try and do it when I clean it. So every few months, barring any overly obvious noise or wobble. Maybe I need to do it more often???
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Well all done 8)

Could not believe it, the rim is still straight and true, thank my lucky stars for that one. As I had the jig out, I cChecked the front wheel for trueness as well, not to far out but a quick twist of a couple of spokes.

Half the new braeks are on it, replacing the Kooka cable disks, to Hope V2 (rear done, had the wrong mount for the front :roll: )

Few other little jobs, replaced the bars for some nicer narrower ones, cable adjustments etc.