Etiquette on reaching a junction

jamlala
jamlala Posts: 284
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all - what is the correct etiquette at junctions?

I have the misfortune of living in Essex (but not for ever I hope!), and as such have to cylce on some really quite busy roads. Now I am new to road bikes, I uesed to ride a hybrid but recently invested in a 2nd hand Trek 1.2 which I love. Now the 1st time out with the clips was hilarity itself, stopping at junctions/roundabouts and remembering to de-clip beforehand was one thing. But working out what to do at T-junctions was a nightmare, I am now changing to the bottom gear before rechaing the junction and hoping nothing comes along b4 moving off. Otherwise its declip......slide........try to push off...........slip again.......look like a total twat...........walk with one leg over the ride/............try and remount and move off again.

Is there any easier way? I pray to god there is!!!!
Oh and Essex drivers are complete arrogant morons, as are most of the people for that matter! Sweet dream all!!
Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
__@    
_`\<,_   
---- (*)/ (*)

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    HI there JamLala, I always assume that I am going to have to stop and prepare to do so. That stops me being tempted/having to try to squeeze into traffic or have a frantic moment trying to unclip at the last minute (I have done both of the above and they aren't pleasureable/recommended).

Hence, as you state, nice low gear, unclip (I often just do one foot and slightly lean to that side but unclip both feet if it helps) and make sure that if you need to keep moving then use the heel of the unclipped foot to ensure you don't clip back in (yepp, done that too!).

When you get going properly then a decent push off with a deliberate clip-in push on the pedal.

I find it just a case of taking it easy, less haste, more speed and all that. Stick with it; it will all come naturally. Soon, you may even be track-standing with some nice carbon bling :)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    IMO the best procedure for junctions is to behave as you would in a car. Firstly position yourself in the road. That is take the left of the lane if turning left and the centre of it if turning right. As you approach the junction change down the gears to one you can set off in easily and prepare to unclip the foot you put down to stop. If visibility is good and all is clear just move on. If in any doubt unclip and stop. Ignore any cars behind you. You were ther first and they will just have to wait. When all clear move of and clip in as soon as you can.
    This all sound so easy but clipping in under pressure can be daunting. Practice makes perfect so do practice. Also do not allow yourself to be pressurised by others. You have as much right to be there as they do. Correct road position will stop them trying to push past so use it.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    JamLala wrote:
    Oh and Essex drivers are complete arrogant morons , as are most of the people for that matter!

only since the County got rammed full of newcomers.

oh yes, back on topic +1 & +1 to JohnT & Bob,