Getting back in the saddle to get fit

bugnerh
bugnerh Posts: 4
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Having been out of the saddle for many years I am looking to get a new MTB to loose weight and get fit after a serious back operation putting me out of action for a long time. With metalwork in my back Im looking for a MTB that doesnt make me bend too far forward like my old Muddy Fox does. This is to be used on gravel tracks so nothing too serious (in moors Valley Country Park in Dorset). I would like disc brakes and front suspension.

Being on the heavy side (19 stone) I want something that will be fit for purpose now and last a good few years.

Can anyone recommend a good make / model to go look at please? Ive read about Giant Talon 2, Carrera Fury and CBoardman Sport. Bikes have changed a lot since I bought one last time. My last bike purchases were Dawes lightning and Imperial racers and Muddy Fox corrier Comp MTB. Budget around £500 for bike.

Thank you

Comments

• No expert on the matter, but a smaller bike will have you sitting up straighter, and longer travel will raise the handlebars (maybe 140mm). You'll probably find it a very different riding position to the older bikes tbh.

Best way would be to try them out though.

The Boardman is more XC than the Fury. You might get on better with the latter, but who knows...
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    With your history I would consider a full suss mount. Far less stress on the body
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    5pudgun wrote:
    With your history I would consider a full suss mount. Far less stress on the body

What he said. I also had an op on my back and now live with metalwork in there. I found my Giant hardtail gave me too much of a pounding, and it would take days to recover from a ride. Going full suss was the best thing for me. You'd have to up your budget though unless you went second hand.

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Go and test ride some. that's the only way to be sure that you get a good fit and a bike that's comfortable.
  • Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    If you can't spare a major sum, try Paul's Cycles. The're bound to have a full susser for a reasonable price.
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • matt748 wrote:
    5pudgun wrote:

What he said. I also had an op on my back and now live with metalwork in there. I found my Giant hardtail gave me too much of a pounding, and it would take days to recover from a ride. Going full suss was the best thing for me. You'd have to up your budget though unless you went second hand.

That's probably the best advice you could hope to get.
  • bugnerh
    Thanks for all the advice. Had a long hard look at full sussers but the cost of buying a full suss and a hardtail (for my wife) was just too much. Looking hard at where we will be cycling to start with I have decided and purchased a Giant Talon 2 and Talon W2. When the fitness levels have improved the cycle shop have said they would part ex for a full susser should I need to upgrade. Appreciate the feedback!!
  • bugnerh
    Can anyone recommend a cycle shop on the south Coast (Hampshire or Dorset) which has a good range of clothing. Been trying to get cycle shorts but not found any shops with a decent selection. Thanks