Hull to Harwich Sustrans route

Tim Farr
Tim Farr Posts: 665
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
After several years of good intentions I'm finally getting around to doing Hull - Harwich, well actually it will be Harwich - Hull.

In my map there is an insert which says that the route now avoids the Butley Farm passenger ferry. Are there still foot passenger ferries Harwich-Felixstowe and also across the River Deben, north of Felixstowe (the Felixstowe ferry)? Do they take bikes? Can anyone advise please?

What about accommodation? Any advice welcome.

Thanks
T Farr

Comments

• Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    There is still a Harwich/Shotley/F'stowe ferry but it's not the regular service that it used to be.
    http://www.harwichharbourferry.com/

I don't know if they take bikes but they will take buggies so can't really see a reason why bikes would not be permitted. I don't think you'll find the ferry running at capacity too often anyway, so I would have thought there would be plenty of space.

No idea about the Deben ferry, sorry
  • 1footedninja
    1footedninja Posts: 269
    I did this in a sort of way when I travelled from Hull to Manningtree (then back again) to visit family - its a great route but can get a bit misleading from Boston toward Thetford forest - its all flat but there are other route loops going off all over the place!!

Boston to Mablethorpe is a great stretch of cycle route especially the sutton on sea right by the sand part.

One thing I wouldn't miss out on is going into Cleethorpes rather than bypassing it, you can still work your way out back toward the cycle route the one that takes you up nearer the Wolds or follow a coastal route that does go directly by the coast (on) and having to go off route to get back on again near to Grimsby Docks then Immingham Docks (off) from Cleethorpes all the way to the Humber Bridge.

Have fun!
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.