Cavendish removed from Tour of Romandie

2»

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    We are all so British aren't we. We build someone up. If they succeed we knock them down. If they lose with good grace we are ambivalent, caught betwwen lauding them for being good losers and condemning them for not being ruthless enough.
    Cavendish's aggression is sometimes perceived as arrogance, but seem to me to be more about adrenaline fuelled passion. The gestures on the finishing line are the flipside of that surge of power which drives him past every other sprinter in the world.
    People should stop being 'holier than thou', and revel in the fact that the best sprinter in the world is British. My guess is that we may never see another British cyclist of his ilk. Lets enjoy watching him while we can!
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    As I understandi it ,the 2 fingered sign was first use by English long bow men in wars against the French.
    The French, so history tells us had a nasty habit of cutting two fingers off captured English bowmen to stop them using a long bow again.
    It was a gesture of defiance used by bowmen of the English army. :twisted:
    bagpuss
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nickwill wrote:
    We are all so British aren't we. We build someone up. If they succeed we knock them down. If they lose with good grace we are ambivalent, caught betwwen lauding them for being good losers and condemning them for not being ruthless enough.
    Cavendish's aggression is sometimes perceived as arrogance, but seem to me to be more about adrenaline fuelled passion. The gestures on the finishing line are the flipside of that surge of power which drives him past every other sprinter in the world.
    People should stop being 'holier than thou', and revel in the fact that the best sprinter in the world is British. My guess is that we may never see another British cyclist of his ilk. Lets enjoy watching him while we can!

4th overall in the TDF last year ? Wiggins ? Ringing any bells ? :roll:
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Agree. I'm not 'offended' in any way by his gesture, I just think it makes him appear extremely childish. The guy has a keen sense of how victory celebrations are picked up (seems no-one chose to phone him as he crossed the line this time) so he would have known in advance that this would get picked up.

In addition to his 'job' to cross the line he also represents his team, who rely hugely on their sponsors, so it was hugely irresponsible.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Cav does the V sign and is pulled from the race. Jenson Button embarrassed himself and the nation with his karaoke 'We are the champions' and is lauded...
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Cav for PM ......He is bound to win...with the first past the post system.
    bagpuss