best iPhone cycling app

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Do they have an app for that?!

Which is the best iPhone cycling app - anyone got any experience?

A sensible question from me - at last!

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    for what uses? I've found all of the GPS apps to be terribly untrustworthy location may be the problem. ie long pauses at zero mph etc then a burst at 60+mph and so on.

I tend to use maps much more for routes I've put together and sanity checking.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I either use Cyclemeter or MotionX, never had huge pauses or bursts of speed (apart from my own ahem).

Maybe I have been lucky.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Paul E wrote:
    I either use Cyclemeter or MotionX, never had huge pauses or bursts of speed (apart from my own ahem).

Maybe I have been lucky.

don't have cyclemeter but motionX I do have while a nice app, it does pause etc.
  • arnosgrove
    arnosgrove Posts: 10
    I've been using cyclemeter since last October - it's very good, especially when you consider the price.
  • i use http://www.imapmy.com/ it's free and pretty good
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,125
    trailblazer lite & fitnessplan for recording what I have done
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Bought Cyclemeter today becaus eof you lot, used it tonight and thought it was great. Thanks for the tip!
  • ScaldedCat
    ScaldedCat Posts: 111
    I use RunKeeper, I tried MapMyRide but RunKeeper seems to track the route better and provides more stats. I've only used the free version so far but it's great.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Bought Cyclemeter today becaus eof you lot, used it tonight and thought it was great. Thanks for the tip!

Okay so I spoke too soon and it turns out to be just a little bit gash. It tells you that the GPS signal is 'weak' by default and is highly flawed where working out your top speed is concerned (if it is not then I really need to get a late entry for this year's Tour De France as I seemingly top 50 mph on a regular basis). It's cool that your route is mapped, but I cannot find any way to compare routes.

Essentially it's a glorified stopwatch, but like most apps, it's pretty cheap.
  • sm9
    sm9 Posts: 6
    ScaldedCat wrote:
    I use RunKeeper, I tried MapMyRide but RunKeeper seems to track the route better and provides more stats. I've only used the free version so far but it's great.

I've been using RunKeeper Pro for walking and found it to be great.

Getting a new bike tomorrow so keen to give it a go on the bike - I'd like to see if I can use it instead of getting a cycle computer actually.

Anyone recommend a case/holder to securely fasten the iPhone to the handlebars?

Thanks,

Stephen
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    sm9 wrote:
    ScaldedCat wrote:

I've been using RunKeeper Pro for walking and found it to be great.

Getting a new bike tomorrow so keen to give it a go on the bike - I'd like to see if I can use it instead of getting a cycle computer actually.

Anyone recommend a case/holder to securely fasten the iPhone to the handlebars?

Thanks,

Stephen

Dahon do a case, it's very clunky but it is waterproof, relatively shock proof and fits OK. I may be getting rid of mine if you're interested, I just can't get on with any i-phone app and will wait for a Garmin. Untill then a paper map and good old memory will suffice
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • J_Prid
    J_Prid Posts: 20
    Runkeeper pro just set it to go stick it in a pocket jobdone. You can have voice feed back how you are doing but it will drain battery faster I'd give it 10/10.
  • sm9
    Rich158 wrote:
    Dahon do a case, it's very clunky but it is waterproof, relatively shock proof and fits OK. I may be getting rid of mine if you're interested, I just can't get on with any i-phone app and will wait for a Garmin. Untill then a paper map and good old memory will suffice

I've seen that one, it seems to be quite a popular one too.

I've been looking around though and I think I'm going to come up with a DIY effort as I haven't really been happy with anything I've seen so far. I already have an Incase case for my iPhone so want something that will allow hold the iPhone without having to take that off. Thinking that a cheap arm belt might do the trick, with a bit of adaptation! We'll see. :-)

Thanks,

Stephen
  • sm9
    J_Prid wrote:
    Runkeeper pro just set it to go stick it in a pocket jobdone. You can have voice feed back how you are doing but it will drain battery faster I'd give it 10/10.

Yes, that's exactly how I use it for walking - don't even look at it again until the end. Was hoping to use it as a make-shift speedometer on the bike though, which is why I want to stick it on the handlebars.

I am looking forward to the new iPhone operating system coming out in the Summer as it will allow apps to be running in the background - it'll be great for RunKeeper I think, as there's nothing more annoying than a call coming in and interrupting your walk! :)
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Cyclemeter is amazing. I've checked it against my normal bike computer and it's very accurate. All the usual expected functions are there, along with the added bonus of mapping your rides, blogging your progress live to facebook/twitter (if that floats your boat). Only problem is it kills the battery so no long rides unfortunately.
  • Do any of you use a bike mount? I think I will be a little unsure of exposing mine to the elements when I finaly get one.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • J_Prid
    J_Prid Posts: 20
    No just pocket or back pack just in case I come off and to keep the rain off in sunny Wales