What wheelset and tyres

garfunkel_dave
garfunkel_dave Posts: 32
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi I started road cycling last year when I got an specialized allez sport compact, i've been avaraging about 70-100 miles a week, I'm in need of some new tyres and was looking at upgrading my wheels, I have about £350 budget in mind for some wheels, any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Kyserium Elites (about £350 from Merlin) Can't go wrong
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I've just replaced my stock Mondos with Conti GP4000 tyres, initial feelings are, it was a very worthy swap.
  • The Conti GP4000S are better than the GP4000 version.

As for wheels depends if you want light wheels or robust wheels. The Mavics are tough wheels if you want something light what about Soul 2 wheels.
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    On the subject of wheels I had some good advice here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12684304&start=0
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    There are numerous threads on wheel choice so have a search and see what comes up.

One unusual option, with some potential, would be some Ultegra 6700 wheels (see merlin) and a pair of Hutchinson Fusion3 tubeless tyres (see wiggle)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    Yep lots of options - another to consider is the RS80
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    Fulcrum Racing 3 for wheels and Michelin Pro3Race or Conti GP 4000 S for tires.
  • Fairlane72
    Fairlane72 Posts: 1
    I would recommend American Classic Victory Wheelset With 2 Free Continental Grand Prix Tyres & Tubes for £299.99 available at Rutlandcycling....
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Macondo01 wrote:
    Yep lots of options - another to consider is the RS80

+ 1 for the RS80's - these have got the super-light Dura-Ace 390g rims - great wheels for a light/moderate weight rider.

Alternately, the 6700's are a competent cheaper option.

For general training tyres - at the cheaper end, Rubino Pros or Michelin Lithions are good enough - with a bit more money GP 4000 S or GP 4 Seasons are a good choice - (reserve things like Pro Race 3's and Vittoria Open Corsa Evo 320's for Summer use/Racing).
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Tyres, I changed to Vittoria Rubino Pros on my Allez Sport
    Richard

Giving it Large