Help a road noob out please?

a.palmer
a.palmer Posts: 504
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Right so basically i'm a mountain biker (hold the abuse please :D ) and fancy getting into a bit of road riding. I've found this bike http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/FullAdDetail ... Area=Local , which looks great and the price is okay. Basically just looking for advice on if this bike is worth the price, and if it's likely to be big enough for me at 6 foot. The only size I can see on there is 19 inch, but as far as i can gather road bikes are usually sized in cm? I am build with long legs than torso for my height so a shorter tt may be alright?

Basically, i'm confused by everything road bike, and need your help!

Thanks, Adam

Comments

• daveydave43
    daveydave43 Posts: 200
    £350
    Carbon fibre fork
    105 groupset.
    yep, looks good from here. go snap it up. :)
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • 19" is pretty small.

At 6' you'd probably need a 54cm (21") or 56cm(22") frame, but we are all different!

Go to a shop, sit on some bikes, at get an ideal of the right size, then you can search the classifieds.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Looks a nice enough bike. But you need at least to find out the dimensions - the top tube is a very important measurement - as this - along with stem length - determines your reach.

I have a hunch that a 19" frame is going to be to small for a 6 footer.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    19" is 48cm - gonna be waaaay too small for you @ 6 foot. Nice bike otherwise.
    Cycling weakly
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    looks like a compact frame, so I guess it depends how the 19" is measured. If 19 is the 'actual' C/T seat tube length then it may still be ok...
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    I think that this bike is for a women or a young rider. It certainly looks very small from the photo.
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    That bike is literally around the corner from me!
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    I'm a MTBer who got into road biking last year. I'm 6' with 32" inside leg & have a 56cm frame so I'd have thought that frame would be too small for you.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    Well it's not far from me either so i might go and try it out, but having never ridden a roadie before i'm not sure if i'll be able to tell whether it is really the right size. Could i not just lengthen the reach with a longer stem?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    A.Palmer wrote:
    Well it's not far from me either so i might go and try it out, but having never ridden a roadie before i'm not sure if i'll be able to tell whether it is really the right size. Could i not just lengthen the reach with a longer stem?

To an extent yes - but the steering would become very slow with to bigger stem - 140mm is about the max - you are not going to make a bike suitable for someone 5ft - ok for a six footer.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm 6'3" and couldn't go below 58cm or about 22-23" frame. A 19" frame is definitely way too tiny.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    A.Palmer wrote:

You may be able to make it fit, but you'd also need to invest in suitable team colours.

brian02bike.72.jpg
    Cycling weakly