I'm not crying...

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,413
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
...but every morning for the last two weeks, my eyes have been absolutely streaming on the ride in. I have to pull the galsses off at every set of TLs and wipe my eyes so I can see where I am going. What's weird is that it doesn't happen on the way home. I have variously thought it mightt be:

Volcanic ash irritating eyes - wouldn't just be one way, and that was only last week.
Tree Pollen - do suffer from hay fever, but no itching, just tear ducts on full, and again, only one way.
Cold air - would account for the morning only part, but it was way colder in the winter and I didn't have the problem then.
Just very upset about something - generally happy at the moment and haven't been embarrassingly scalped by anyone recently.

Any ideas?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,196
    Could be air temperature - I sometimes get streaming eyes for the first mile or two in the morning, but not after that when I'm warmed up, or on the way back. It was more noticeable when the temps were lower, so I reckon that's partly the reason as I can't think of anything else. I'm also thinking that maybe subjecting my eyes to a blast of air produces that reaction involuntarily but then your body 'settles down' once its got used to it?

Interesting.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Buy a CX bike and:

14140.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would suspect pollen, settling overnight and then being dispersed during the day by traffic, warm air rising etc.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Is it that time of month again maybe?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    Buy a CX bike and:

14140.jpg

I don't look that different from that with helmet glasses and face mask. I'd need to change to a black helmet and glasses though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition