Advice: Boardman hybrid, sirrus sport, scott speedster FB?

teddyt72
teddyt72 Posts: 5
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I'm after some advice on a new bike which I will be using for commuting, weekend rides around London and generally getting about in the evenings. Budget is £500 (no cycle to work scheme unfortunatley)

I'm after something on the sporty end of the hybrid scale (I don't think I need a full on road bike though). I used to own a Cannondale bad boy 700 (which got nicked, uninsured - I know i'm a fool!). I really liked the sport ride, though it was a bit harsh at times over the bumpy roads of London!

I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes which I'm going to test ride of course, but would like to get anyone's thoughts on these etc.

They are:
Boardman hybrid comp: http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_comp.html
Really like the idea of this bike, looks to be decent spec and I like the SRAM gears & shifters having got used to them on the cannondale. My only concerns are halfords & the fact that with no carbon fork it might be quite a bumpy ride.

Specialized Sirrus Sport: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec020017
Really like this - seems to be a good compromise between sporty and practical with good components

Scott speedster S50 Flat bar: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-s50-flat-bar-2010-road-bike-ec020708
This looks to be really decent spec for the price, with Sora rear Derailleur, decent shifters etc. Also very light and sporty - though possibly not the most comfortable ride.

All in all they all seem to be pretty decent and I'm sure none would be a bad choice, but would you have any preference? I'm leaning towards the Specialized, as I'd avoid halfords and it seems a pretty solid commuter.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Eddie.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,196
    I can only tell you about my experience with the Boardman, which is good from a commuters point of view. I like the SRAM shifters and the one lever per side set up. My version has carbon forks so not sure how the Alu version will ride - you'd need to stretch to the Pro to get those. Don't worry about Halfords, just get it to your LBS for a quick health check after buying and you're away.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    I've just bought a S40 and it's pretty much similar to the S50 bar it has Tiagra, don't worry about it being uncomfortable, it's a pleasure to ride, really smooth.

I'd advise going for the drop handlebars but it's personal preference really.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • teddyt72
    Stevo 666 - thanks for that. Yeah it's annoying the comp doesn't have the carbon forks, I can't really stretch to the pro. That's a great idea actually - take the thing straight to LBS to get it checked! Would also probably put some more puncture proof tyres on as I've heard the standard ones are rubbish.

northstar - also thanks. I'm keen to try this one as it does seem to have great spec for the price. I knew peeps would say to get the drop bars, but I just think for me I'd rather stick with what I know and I have the idea (maybe the wrong idea) that flats would be more versatile and useful in traffic. I'm not planning on any massive rides - though I would probably get some bar ends to allow me to vary the hand position a bit.

Anyone think the Specialized would be worthy of my money?

cheers,
    Eddie.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,196
    teddyt72 wrote:
    That's a great idea actually - take the thing straight to LBS to get it checked! Would also probably put some more puncture proof tyres on as I've heard the standard ones are rubbish.
    I think my LBS gave it a full going over and fitted better tyres that I supplied (I'm a lazy git) for about £25. I went for Continental Sport Contacts and they have done good - the 700cx37's just fit on the rims and 32's will also be good for a bit of extra comfort and puncture proofing.

Cheers,
    Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    My version has carbon forks so not sure how the Alu version will ride - you'd need to stretch to the Pro to get those.
    I have just bought (about a month ago) the Team and it has the carbon forks, only £150 more than the Comp and has Avid Juicey 3's, external BB, Sram x7 etc. Changed tyres to RaceLite hardcases.
    Great value for the money and i'm really pleased with the bike :wink:
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    teddyt72 wrote:
    northstar - also thanks. I'm keen to try this one as it does seem to have great spec for the price. I knew peeps would say to get the drop bars, but I just think for me I'd rather stick with what I know and I have the idea (maybe the wrong idea) that flats would be more versatile and useful in traffic. I'm not planning on any massive rides - though I would probably get some bar ends to allow me to vary the hand position a bit.

Anyone think the Specialized would be worthy of my money?

cheers,
    Eddie.

Yeah the spec is very good for your first, you could give both version's a test ride, i think i went for drops because i'd been riding a flat bar bike for a while before and liked the difference.

I've found the drops quite easy in traffic, maybe give both versions a test ride and see what you like better.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I have the boardman hybid and its a brilliant bike, really responsive, light, fast, comfortable, I love it!
    It really feels like its part of your body :wink:
    Not sure what you mean about the gear shifters, I have 2 levers on each side.

Now i only have to decide whether I need to get a winter bike to compliment it
  • teddyt72
    Thanks moonio :-)

So you have the comp, not the more expensive versions? I'm pleased that you say it's comfortable - I had been a bit concerned it would be quite stiff and unforgiving on London's bumpy roads!

Hopefully test riding it tomorrow, weather permitting!
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Well its comfortable for me,,,I've never ridden a bike like it before and dont really know what you mean by stiff etc..I did change the tyres to marathon plus 32c and I have a suspension seat post with comfy gel saddle...so that might help...:)
  • teddyt72
    By stiff i just meant that it might be unforgiving on bumpy roads, but yeah your fatter tyres and new seat setup would definately help that!!

Well a quick look out of the window today tells me i wont be test riding any today!! Bloody english weather!