Grease

Craig321
Craig321 Posts: 169
edited April 2010 in The workshop
What grease would you guys recommend for stationery parts?

I do have a tub of seriously purple grease, however heard that it could 'weld' the metal together after a certain amount of time?

Any recommendations for a grease that can be used on metal threads etc. ?

This bicycle will be properly maintained and parts that could seize will be taken out, cleaned and re-greased every few weeks/months (depending on use/dirt), however I still want something that will help stop seizing if the bike hasn't been used in a while.

Something that isn't stupidly priced for a stupidly small tube like in my LBS please! :)

[Edit]
Also, rather than me making a new thread, any suggestions on a decent plastic hammer? Or is the Thor THO406 pretty much the best I'll get as far as plastic mallets go?

It'll make things like getting my Deore Hollowtech II out a lot easier (yes, I stabbed myself with my chainset while getting it out :D).

Thanks
Craig.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Copaslip is a good substance for static metal joins ie not bearings.

Though many teflon [non lithium] greases do a good job.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Craig321 wrote:
    What grease would you guys recommend for stationery parts?

I do have a tub of seriously purple grease, however heard that it could 'weld' the metal together after a certain amount of time?

Any recommendations for a grease that can be used on metal threads etc. ?

This bicycle will be properly maintained and parts that could seize will be taken out, cleaned and re-greased every few weeks/months (depending on use/dirt), however I still want something that will help stop seizing if the bike hasn't been used in a while.

Something that isn't stupidly priced for a stupidly small tube like in my LBS please! :)

[Edit]
    Also, rather than me making a new thread, any suggestions on a decent plastic hammer? Or is the Thor THO406 pretty much the best I'll get as far as plastic mallets go?

It'll make things like getting my Deore Hollowtech II out a lot easier (yes, I stabbed myself with my chainset while getting it out :D).

Thanks
    Craig.

I've always found graphite to be best for stationery
  • Craig321
    supersonic wrote:
    Copaslip is a good substance for static metal joins ie not bearings.

Though many teflon [non lithium] greases do a good job.

Any comments on Bikehut Teflon Grease?: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228375

Or is the above only really for moving parts?

[Edit]
    Actually, any suggestions on something I can get at Halfords? I'm near there at the moment.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    You might have more luck finding coppaslip in the car section of halfauds
  • Craig321
    will3 wrote:
    You might have more luck finding coppaslip in the car section of halfauds

Hopefully, I'll be looking in a bit.

Can't find any on the website though :/

What about this stuff? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165705

Thanks
    Craig.
  • Craig321
    Ooo found some Copper Slip at my LBS. Hopefully they stock it in store:
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... s_id=10080
  • Craig321
    Just bought some "Comma" copper grease anti seize stuff from Halfords.

Any comments on the stuff before I slap it on?

Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Use sparingly, but enough to coat all the threads and relevant surfaces. Wipe of excess that is squeezed out.

It can be quite toxic, so minimize contact with skin.
  • Craig321
    supersonic wrote:
    Use sparingly, but enough to coat all the threads and relevant surfaces. Wipe of excess that is squeezed out.

It can be quite toxic, so minimize contact with skin.

Thanks for the warnings :)

I assume this stuff will be very similar to Copaslip anyway as they're both copper based grease?

Cheers
    Craig