Begginer Road Bike

bikerboyharry
bikerboyharry Posts: 16
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Im a new boy to road cycling and have a budget of £500 to spend.
Any suggestions for a begginer bike?
Ive seen a Giant Defy 4 and the new Raleigh Airlite 100 hanging up in the local bike shop. Does anyone have any recomendations or reviews of these bikes?

Specs:
Raleigh Airlite 100 - http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx ... 5125&pt=14
Giant Defy 4 - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bik ... 861/38962/

Regards,
bikerboyharry

Comments

• If you're set on a new bike then don't forget to have a look at Specialized and Trek, however you will probably get a better spec'd, nicer bike second hand. Check out the classifieds on here, or look at ebay. Lots of good bikes, only a couple of years old, with good groupsets around for your money.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • i had the same budget but ended up scraping an extra £100 together and just bought myself a giant defy 3 and they threw me in a £50 helmet and free service as well, just waiting for delivey, well worth the extra hundred for the upgrades will save you money in the long run but as gregster said second hand you will get loads more for your money but i didnt know what i was buying so wanted a shop to go back to if something goes wrong

good luck
  • PH5121
    PH5121 Posts: 17
    Excuse me for asking, but I am considering getting a Giant Defy too and just wondered which bike shop you were getting yours from.
    I have been to a couple of Giant dealers local to me who were not very helpful. I live between Leeds and York and see you are at Hull so not far away, I would travel to find a good shop.
  • Hi I got my Defy from CLIFF PRATT cycles. They have a website. I like yourself found 4 shops previous to this one unhelpful. I'm a complete beginner and they didn't want to help. But my faith was restored by cliff pratts they were really helpful sorted me a test ride etc and threw in some extras

http://www.cpcycles.com/

8)
  • what defy where you planning on getting PH5121?
  • Hi I was in the same boat

Wanted to get into Road bikeing and had same budget, and can agree with comments here as do get some good stuff on ebay. What I would say though if your completley new go to a shop they will set it up for you whihc is very important. Also dont foget the kit you need lights, helmet ( I use my MTB one and work fine.) computer etc.

After about 6 weeks of research, I went for the Specialized Allez in the red and black. Love it, it goes fast (58km top speed so far) feels strong and have had no probs. I would recommend it have done 178km it only 4 rides. I find it very comfortable.

From one newbie to another have fun.
  • Well After Thinking I Went With The Defy 3.5
    I Picked It Up Today, And Fell In Love, Riding IT On The Way Home From The Bike Shop.
    Its A Great BIke And Would Recommend It To Any Rider.
    Alot Faster Than My Old Mountain Bike.

P.S.- Any Tips With Straps?
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Well After Thinking I Went With The Defy 3.5
    I Picked It Up Today, And Fell In Love, Riding IT On The Way Home From The Bike Shop.

Straps? I take it you mean toe straps? Ditch them and get some clipless pedals and proper road shoes. Changes the ride and puts more power through to the road.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • ALaPlage wrote:
    Well After Thinking I Went With The Defy 3.5

Straps? I take it you mean toe straps? Ditch them and get some clipless pedals and proper road shoes. Changes the ride and puts more power through to the road.

Yeah Toe Straps, Clip In Pedals Are Soon Too Come
    Any Tips For Toe Straps For The Moment Though?
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Yes keep them lose to begin with and take care what trainers you wear them with as you don't want straps or laces stopping you from removing your foot from the pedal when you need to.

Also when you move away from a junction or traffic lights and you have a car behind don't be afraid to cycle a while on the flat side until you have time to slide your foot in.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...