Cheap SPD shoes?

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,217
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
My SPD shoes that I've had for about 3 years broke yesterday (cleat ripped through the sole when the chain slipped). I'm looking to spend £50 or under and I'm after:

Black
Laces (1 velcro strap is acceptable, but it still needs laces!)
Lightweight and thin material (but some padding around the ankles)

They'll be used for a bit of everything: summer MTB, road and commuting.

The Shimano MT32s almost fit the bill, although they look quite thick around the middle. Does anyone have a pair and can tell me what they are like?

Anyone got any alternative suggestions?

Comments

• northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    I've just got these and they fit your criteria and are amazingly comfortable, couldn't be any happier with them, though they are a bit over your budget but worth it imho.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Northwave_City_Cruiser_Cycling_Shoes/5360039486/

edit: bit cheaper at Evans http://www.evanscycles.com/products/northwave/city-cruiser-shoe-ec018353?query=northwave%20shoes
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Check out the DHBs on Wiggle.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Lidl ones for £16.99. Unfortunately they had them in about a couple of months ago and probably won't do them again until late summer.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    markp2 wrote:
    Lidl ones for £16.99. Unfortunately they had them in about a couple of months ago and probably won't do them again until late summer.

I got a pair of these and have found them very frustrating. Laces lasted about a week and the hoops that the velcro goes through lasted much less than that.

They are incredibly good value for money, but not fantastic IMHO
  • iPad
    iPad Posts: 112
    I've got a pair of these

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-am30-shoes-id48046.html

They were the cheepest ones I could find.

They're my first (and only) pair SPD shoes so I don't really have a basis for comaprison, but I think they're OK.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they have such great ideas
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Specialized Tahoe MTB shoes here, a little heavier than roadie ones but more conveniant for walking into the office after cycling, got mine for £52 delivered, even spent a day in the office in them once when I left my shoes at home!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i've got the MT32's - bought them on a deal (along with pedals) from Merlin a couple of years ago. i wear them every day for the commute, and when i get out at the weekends.

its fair to say that they've been through all types of weather and have been very well used and they're still going strong. they are a bit chunky mind, just in case you want something light. i think they're great though.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    cjcp wrote:

I was about to suggest them to, my R1's have been brilliant for the £40 price but as they have 3 velcro straps they fail the criteria some what!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    cjcp wrote:

+1. Got the T1s, which fulfil your lace criteria. Lightweight & thin...er, no. But they're more than acceptable for walking in, yet stiff enough to be good on the bike. And worn them for whole days without problems.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Thanks for the replies.

On the list we have:
    DHB T1
    DHB R1
    Specialized Taho
    Shimano MT32
    Northwave city cruiser

None fit the bill perfectly so something will have to budge in my criteria :D
    Sounds like a trip to some bike shops is in order to try some on.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    As I said I'm using the R1's and can't really complain. The side of the shoe near the ball of my foot is starting to peel a bit but this is after a year or so of commuting and only a few months with overshoes so they have been soaked quite a few times and they only really started coming apart after Centre Parcs where I was occasionally walking on some rougher ground :-)

Also with those ones as they are road shoes you'll need to get the road-specific SPD cleats which come with little rubber feet then protrude either side of the cleat as it isn't recessed into the shoe like with the T1's to allow you to walk properly, or at least make walking a little easier ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5