magicshine light

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
thinking of buying one of these for front of my new road bike.

50-70 % of commute is via unlit cycle paths and back roads late at night/early morning

thoughts please????

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I have one, although I tend to use it in combination with an Exposure Joystick.

The combination is fine for riding on unlit country roads at night. I think you will be fine with just the Magicshine. The beam spread is quite wide on mine which is perfect for floodlighting tarmac. Excellent bit of kit considering the price.

Are you going for handlebar or helmet mount? With handlebar mount if you turn you can't see ahead, but with helmet if you look away oncoming cars won't see you :D
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've got one I use for mountain bike riding and think it'd be a good choice for unlit road commuting.
  • I used one of mine (bar mounted) all through winter on the commuter. Works well on low power, then whack it up to full beam on those unlit country roads.
    Remember to angle the main part of the beam quite low though. Too high and you'll be dazzling oncoming drivers, which is not a great idea.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I've had one for a few months now, it's great. I commute on the A38 south from Gloucester on a late shift at midnight - if there's no moonlight I put it on max and it lights up the road like day. Best £48 I ever spent....
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Yep, top bit of kit for money. 10 miles of my commute is country lanes and I leave at 5.45am every morning....it's dark in Winter....unless I Magicshine :)
  • mcowan77
    where did you get yours from??

wots best,handlebar or helmet????

cheers
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Got mine from Dealextreme, wish I hadn't...took forever. Geomangear are brilliant, excellent customer services and genuinely nice guys. I've seen various sellers on eBay but cannot vouch for these.

My commute changes next month, no more country lanes. Am going to sell the Magicshine and use a smaller helmet mounted unit instead. PM if your interested in purchasing.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I got mine from Geomangear too. Little more to buy from that Dealextream but after I read the reviews floating around the net I opted for Geo.

Great light, I have around 6 mile on unlit roads. I have other riders stop me and ask what it was and where to get one from.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I would get a back up light in any case if that one goes or the battery suddenly dies.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Bought both mine from Dealextreme never had any problems. Sure, it takes a couple of weeks to arrive, but it's coming from the other side of the world.

Of course, if you want it NOW, pay the premium and get it from a UK seller.

As for mounts, Bar mount next to the stem FTW, helmet mount is too easy to dazzle oncoming traffic.
  • mcowan77
    cheers for the replies folks
  • fury21
    fury21 Posts: 71
    Good grief, I hadn't seen the 1400 lumen version :shock:

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?mai ... cts_id=161
    itsnotarace.org - SCR Rules & FCN Calculator
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It won't be 1400 lumens. Not by a long shot.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    supersonic wrote:
    It won't be 1400 lumens. Not by a long shot.

and i dont want mickey mouse strapped to the front of my bars.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hehe, it does look a bit comical.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I had the 900 lumen version which was great...for 4 months and then it died! Ended up buying a rechargable light from my LBS, twice the price but with a one year warranty.

Has anyone checked the charger unit of the Magicshine? I'm sure if used to receive current from the battery as the "on charge" light went on before plugging it into the wall socket, I found that a bit worrying.

I wouldn't buy one again.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Benno68 wrote:
    I had the 900 lumen version which was great...for 4 months and then it died! Ended up buying a rechargable light from my LBS, twice the price but with a one year warranty.

Has anyone checked the charger unit of the Magicshine? I'm sure if used to receive current from the battery as the "on charge" light went on before plugging it into the wall socket, I found that a bit worrying.

unlucky maybe..

i got mine at the start of the dark season last year....and its still going strong after using it for commuting to work all winter, plus 2 full battery charges and discharges for night and weekend rides per week.....

that light just shows a connection. nothing to be concerned about.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I've used mine since September last year up until about a month ago and it's working fine. I will discharge it and charge it fully a few times over the summer as I sense leaving it for 6 months and then expecting the battery to be A OK might be putting too much faith in my £50 bargin!

One area of concern and therefore requiring extra care is the power connection between the battery and the light which needs to be handled without stressing the cables too much.

I also found a very good mod on the mtb forum using a £4 electron light mount for the fixing braket and posted my handie work on this forum a while ago. Excellent value IMO
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cee wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

unlucky maybe..

i got mine at the start of the dark season last year....and its still going strong after using it for commuting to work all winter, plus 2 full battery charges and discharges for night and weekend rides per week.....

that light just shows a connection. nothing to be concerned about.

Maybe - but there are a few other forum members who've had problems too:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16013882

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Sure, there are people who have had problems, I'm one of them, my 1st magicshine died on me after about 7 months regular use. Emailed them, sent then a picture of it not working (like they asked) and then sent it back. Cost me about a fiver to send it back and I was without lights for about 4 weeks but the replacement arrived and is working fine.

Some people have a bltch about them, but they are mostly the ones who are trying to justify why they spent 6 times more for a less powerful light.

At £50, you've got to expect Quality control to be a little suspect on some of them, but if something does go wrong, they DO fix it without any hassle.

It's the exact same story with the MD80 cameras.