Track stands

Trailradar
Trailradar Posts: 131
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
i was wanting to learn how to track stand, for red lights and all that. Can anyone else here do it and how do you go about it?

What other tricks can you do on a road bike?

Wheelies?

Grinding to a halt and slamming on front bike to do a front wheelie type thing? cool at red lights, eh?

Bunny hops?

any others?

Like a lay person once said - 'ride it like you stole it.'

one of those 360 degree turns - front wheelie, use body weight to spin bike 90 degree plus, land front wheel down, bring up back wheel and do another body weight turn with bike wheel and keep repeating above steps until have turned around 360. Bit like dirt/jump bike tricks, but on a road bike. Or is there another style of tricks reserved for road bikes?

Or have I got wrong end of stick and its more how to get maximum speed out of a bike so you when you are at red lights with another roadie all they can do is see you melt into the horizon. A bit like trying to boost the 0-40mph in minimum time.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Trailradar wrote:
    i was wanting to learn how to track stand, for red lights and all that. Can anyone else here do it and how do you go about it?

They are called track stands because they are usually done on the track, on a track bike.
    You can do them with a freewheel bike but I would advise against it in traffic situations.
  • Trailradar
    Trailradar Posts: 131
    dennisn wrote:
    Trailradar wrote:

They are called track stands because they are usually done on the track, on a track bike.
    You can do them with a freewheel bike but I would advise against it in traffic situations.

i was probably wanting to master track stands before use in traffic. Only when super confident I can do track stands would carry out in traffic.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Trailradar wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Trailradar wrote:

i was probably wanting to master track stands before use in traffic. Only when super confident I can do track stands would carry out in traffic.

Practice, practice, practice, wait for broken bone to heal, practice, practice, practice.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A track stand is where you are balancing the weight of the bike and rider on a slight incline with pressure on the pedals and if necessary holding the brake to stop you moving forward - you can also use the road camber for the same effect It's easier to learn on a fixed gear bike on a banked track
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,483
    Monty Dog wrote:
    A track stand is where you are balancing the weight of the bike and rider on a slight incline with pressure on the pedals and if necessary holding the brake to stop you moving forward - you can also use the road camber for the same effect It's easier to learn on a fixed gear bike on a banked track

I'm not so sure about that, I can do them on the road where it's a lot easier to get down if you start to lose balance but wouldn't have the nerve to try one on the track banking.

It's really just a question of balance and using your brakes to hold the bike steady, a fixed gear is easier as you can control your balance with small forward and backwards movements. If you really want to try practice do it using trainers at first rather than being clipped in!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Wow monty you can do them on :D the bank ?
    I have done them on the straighs but I wont go less than 15mph on the bankings let alone a track stand, Pendleton fell off in the worlds just riding up the edge of the bank too slow :D
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    If you used the search feature you will find this has come up before with loads of advice....~I think Bhima actually wrote a huge post going through his trial and error of learning how to do trackstands
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I've seen one of the pros doing an impressive wheelie on a road bike. Think it was Contador.

The big thing stopping me from even thinking about it is that I have to pay for my forks if I break them. Same applies for bunny hops and endos/stoppies.

As for track stands, check first that the toes of your shoe doesn't overlap your wheel and if it does adjust the position of your pedals accordingly. I'm not bad at trackstanding on a bike where me feet are free but constantly chicken out when clipped in, partly because of the toe overlap!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah there's a huge post somewhere with step by step instructions on how to do a trackstand on a geared/freewheel bike
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Just happened across this - no handed wheelie riding up mountain pass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_6lSLuwU6Q&feature=related
  • Gary67
    Gary67 Posts: 183
    As a ex flatland bmxer,i've been wondering lately what tricks i could pull on a roadie?so if someone would like to lend me their wheelset i'd be happy to try and pull a few for you :lol:
    But seriously i think my wheels would fold in a matter of minutes :shock: Need a beefed up fixie to try some tricks 8) (may have to build one,with a freecoaster hub,hollow stem bolt etc etc :D )
    As for trackstands,practice in your hallway and try feathering your brakes for balance.You'll get the hang of it ,its not difficult :wink:
    Gary.
  • herusix
    herusix Posts: 55
    Not totally on topic,but watch this to see real balance and skill
    http://chrisakrigg.com/?p=187
    Dialled Bikes Prince Albert MTB

Giant Bowery Inc lots of Upgrades

Project Concorde Road Bike
  • Gary67
    Not bad,most of it was just basic bmx street riding though.Was impressed with his bunny hopping height over the rail by the grass bank though.With a set of pegs fitted he could be pulling of a good range of tricks with his street riding skills.Would like to know what wheels he is using?Will check out the Mongoose site see if it is one of the bikes in their range,it had a bmx fork design and looked pretty strong overall.Would like to see him ride the handrail with some shoes clipped in :shock: :lol::lol:

Now heres some balance for you,bought my last F&F off Keelan when he swapped sponsors.Sorry well off the topic of track stands now :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2_R_sK6ZQ
  • herusix
    herusix Posts: 55
    Gary67 wrote:
    Not bad,most of it was just basic bmx street riding though.Was impressed with his bunny hopping height over the rail by the grass bank though.With a set of pegs fitted he could be pulling of a good range of tricks with his street riding skills.Would like to know what wheels he is using?Will check out the Mongoose site see if it is one of the bikes in their range,it had a bmx fork design and looked pretty strong overall.Would like to see him ride the handrail with some shoes clipped in :shock: :lol::lol:

Now heres some balance for you,bought my last F&F off Keelan when he swapped sponsors.Sorry well off the topic of track stands now :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2_R_sK6ZQ

The bike he's on is a Mongoose Maurice (Yes really) what you may or may not have noticed is that it is a fixie ie.No free wheel so makes the timing and foot/pedall positioning quite important.
    He does come from a Bike trials background though .
    Dialled Bikes Prince Albert MTB

Giant Bowery Inc lots of Upgrades

Project Concorde Road Bike
  • Gary67
    The bike he's on is a Mongoose Maurice (Yes really) what you may or may not have noticed is that it is a fixie ie.No free wheel so makes the timing and foot/pedall positioning quite important.
    He does come from a Bike trials background though .[/quote]

Cheers for the info.Had a look at the Maurice,noticed it did not come with the same forks as what he is riding with in the video clip though.I want to build something similar but with a freecoaster rear hub,will have to look into it!
    Cheers Gary