Slipping gears on Specialized Sirrus sport hybrid

Jaja Rede
Jaja Rede Posts: 8
edited May 2010 in Workshop
My gears slip when i am in gears 3-5 but only on the middle chain wheel. I've cleaned it all but the only thing that helped (it was originally slipping in 3-6) was adjusting the B screw which pulls the jockey wheel back - it seemed as though this jockey wheel was almost touching the gears. i could adjust it a bit more but the bike book said that this screw never normally needs touching.

Could the chain have stretched? If so, what sort of chain should i replace it with to be sure of getting the same quality?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Are those the gears you use the most? How many miles have you done on that chain?
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Jaja Rede
    I've done about 1600 miles. They have been slipping for a while though - adjusting the B screw makes it better, but i thought you were never supposed to touch it!!!

Sorry for delay in reply.
  • evilollie
    evilollie Posts: 148
    check the chain
  • Jaja Rede
    I've checked it for stiff links and i've cleaned it thoroughly and cleaned all the gears thoroughly too. How do i check if it is worn or stretched though?

Thanks
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    At 1600 miles it is not likely to be a worn chain unless you have really ignored maintaining it. To check put the chain on the big ring and put a bit of pressure on the pedal. Measure 10 full links from one pin centre. It should be 10" to the pin centre. If it is 10.1" then the chain is worn and should be replaced.
    Your problem is more likely dirt in the cables. You should strip and clean them. Especialy the rear outer loop and the guide under the BB. Then reset the indexing. As you say the B screw should not need adjusting once it is set right. See Parktools for how to do this.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Hiya, firstly check indexing - watch the video below. After measuring the chain as the other post says and replace it if necessary but if it's jumping and worn, I'd change the cassette at the same time. If ever you're not sure what to replace parts with, just look up the Specialized website as per your bike details and it should give you the specification with part names. Follow cable advice as other post also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

Bike shops don't normally charge much to change parts by the way so if the indexing thing doesn't work and you're not sure about the other suggestions, just take it to your LBS. It saves a lot of hassle sometimes!