Noob advice regarding clipless pedals

vilhelms
vilhelms Posts: 19
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
I'm new to clipless and not being the fittest person in the world, and living near to some main roads, I occasionally find my self in the position of having to push my bike. Suffice to say with clips on my shoes this isn't the easiest thing to do (not to mention the damage being done to the clips). I'm wondering how other people manage in these situations? Do you carry a set of the rubber covers on you to slip on and off as required or do you just avoid the areas where you need to get off (which living in Cornwall is easier said than done).

Any advice/comments appreciated

Comments

• You can buy MTB shoes which have the clips but still allow you to walk normally in them
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    If it's traffic making you get off, maybe worth finding a different route. If it's terrain you'll get better!

As mentioned though MTB/touring type shoes (SPD as opposed to road SPD-SLs) are fine for walking about in*- the cleats don't get damaged and it's easier. You don't lose much pedalling-wise by having them instead of 'proper' road shoes.

*Relatively speaking- you wouldn't walk down to the shops in them!
  • vilhelms
    vilhelms Posts: 19
    I'm using Keo Easy pedals with road shoes, so I guess it's just a case of perserverence coupled with careful route planning. I guess it wouldn't hurt to carry a set of cleat covers just in case, they aren't very big after all. Thanks for the comments.