Pump/Pressure Gauge

FitzM
FitzM Posts: 232
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Yesterday I attempted to pump up my tyres using my 10yr old JoeBlow Sport, when I got to a little over 100psi the hose head flew off. I'm assuming it's because the tyre had reached it maximum psi? Or do I need a new pump/gauge?

While here, anyone got a recommended psi for Michelin Pro3 Race Service Course and will the psi be affected by the fact that I'm a little under 140lbs and I ride mainly good (few pot holes) roads?
Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FitzM wrote:
    Yesterday I attempted to pump up my tyres using my 10yr old JoeBlow Sport, when I got to a little over 100psi the hose head flew off. I'm assuming it's because the tyre had reached it maximum psi? Or do I need a new pump/gauge?

Are you saying the head popped off the tire valve or the head popped off the end of the hose???
    Assuming that the hose head popped off the tire valve I would say you might not have had it on and clamped to the valve properly. Or the "O" ring inside the end of the pump head is worn out.
    If the head popped off the hose then you probably need a new hose clamp or tightening of the one that's on there. If there is one.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The hose probably blew off because the rubber seal in the pump head has worn - your LBS can probably help you with a replacement.

There's been much discussion regarding optimum tyre pressure, but general consensus is that once you get above 110psi, the ride gets harsher, you're more likely to puncture and it makes no difference to rolling resistance - unless of course, you're riding on billiard-table smooth roads.

I generally ride with 100 in the rear and 95 in the front for racing - less for fatter tyres, rougher roads or wet weather.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • FitzM
    dennisn/Monty Dog..... Popped off, as in the hose head detached itself from the valve on the tyre. Now you have pointed it out it I reckon you're right that the seal has worn. It is 10yrs old. Thx :)

100psi seems enough for me too.
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Hi FitzM

Trusting that you tried more than once with your pump and you were blown off each time then I agree to previous posters.

With regard to tyre pressures, being approx. 24 lbs more than you, dead jealous, I tend to ride at max. 10 psi below the max for the tyre and 10 psi less than that on the front. i.e Vittoria 125 rear and 115 front; continental 120 rear and 110 front.

Perhaps I like them hard but I tended to find I had more snakebite punctures and cuts in the tyres when I rode at lower psi s

Re your query re the Michelins then you should be able to find the Min/Max psi on the wall of the tyre and your comparatively low weight should mean that you increase your psi; within the max recommended; but still have the same comfort level ; with ,in my opinion, greater puncture protection.

Takes deep breath, finishes.
  • FitzM
    Hi plowmar,

Yep tried more than once and it happened on both tyres!

No need to be jealous, I'm down about 10lbs since the end of last summer and I was reasonably lean then. Plenty of spinning over the winter and hardly any alcohol (under 10 units a week) and I'm wasting away.

As for different psi front and rear, I'd never considered it but will give it a go. I've got Vittoria on my Klein and Michelin on my Cervelo