Millbrook races this weekend

Bronzie
Bronzie Posts: 4,927
edited May 2010 in Amateur race
See jibberjim and maryka's names down on the start sheets - anyone else on here doing them?

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... age-Race-0

This officially counts as the "race closest to my front door" so I had to ride even though I suspect a severe shoeing may be the order of the day (men's 2/3/4 support race on Monday). The words "Alpine Test Track" are not compatible with my vertically challenged climbing ability. :)

Still, it'll be a whizz to ride around the Top Gear test track.

Comments

• Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    The Top gear test track is Dunsfold Aerodrome n Surrey. But the Surrey League do have races there.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Dess1e wrote:
    The Top gear test track is Dunsfold Aerodrome n Surrey. But the Surrey League do have races there.

Not any more, Glyn stopped 'em due to the number of Lorries and learner drivers randomly on the track at the same time - the series is moving down to Goodwood instead.

I am indeed racing on monday, looking forward to it actually, last years equivalent support race was my first road race ever, and I was pretty please to survive with the 2nd cats until almost at the end. This year however I hope to be doing a little more than simply survive, but that's certainly my first goal.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Bronzie
    They use the High Speed Bowl at Millbrook from time to time.........not their regular haunt I know.

millbrook-proving-ground.jpg
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    I'm going, although not hoping for much as I've been off the bike for a few weeks.
  • Bronzie
    Circuit was fantastic...........................I was not.
  • jibberjim
    Bronzie wrote:
    Circuit was fantastic...........................I was not.

Neither was I, I was extremely cold before the start, indeed for the previous day too, and despite wearing every item of clothing I had, and extra borrowed arm warmers and gilet - I looked like a michelin man. And doing 30 minutes very hard including twice up the long hill 2 minutes at ~450watt, I was still freezing, and despite being at the front of the main bunch (which was already about a 3rd in size from the original) I DNF'd I then continued to freeze for the rest of the day despite adding on all the regular clothes I had and keeping out of the wind.

I don't know if I'm a bit sick, or just a wimp, either way I decided I couldn't face being cold for the rest of the race, and then stay watching (the much more interesting!) womens race without a chance to get warm.

Bronzie - that was an extremely tough day out there, there were an awful lot of guys who I normally race with and think of as very strong riders who got shelled first time up the hill.
  • Bronzie
    I was hoping to get to say "Hi" to you but the fact that there was an awning for an HQ and not a cuppa in sight meant there could be no hanging around before or after the race. :?

The guy that won our race also got a 2nd on Saturday and is a 1st cat to all intents and purposes.

How did Maryka get on by the way?
  • jibberjim
    Bronzie wrote:
    I was hoping to get to say "Hi" to you but the fact that there was an awning for an HQ and not a cuppa in sight meant there could be no hanging around before or after the race. :?

Yeah, that was the most unfortunate thing about the circuit, lack of facilities, I think the Munchies truck was supposed to be there, but I suspect she might've got lost - I saw her 3 times the day before driving in the wrong direction, including a u-turn in front of me, when I was going the right way!
    Bronzie wrote:
    How did Maryka get on by the way?

Tough in the race, the climbs weren't quite long enough, and she ended up having to fight to get back on on the downhills with her lack of weight! She finished just off the front of the 3rd group on the road having attacked them with 1km to go and hold a good place. ~19th on the day. She did very well in the morning, 8th in the TT, which considering 4 of the people who beat her were 1,3,4 and 6th in the individual pursuit at the nationals last year was a pretty good result!

I think she should've held a top 20 in the overall, but it was a very tough race by all accounts, having full time pro riders in the field makes quite a difference!