Shimano 10 speed

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Valid points - but not all riders are very experienced and fit testers lol.

The good thing is there is choice. On my fast XC bikes I like a full range triple, which also suits my relative unfitness for the climbs and the granny ring.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what was interesting was the fact that they hinted at 2*10 xtr next year :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lol seems like they're coming from a similar angle as i am tbh sonic. im pretty fit and very rarely use the granny ring, and i think the wide ratio cassette and compact chainset is a brilliant idea, less overlap, pretty much the same range of gears, slightly less weight, less to go wrong etc, it all seems to be positive for 2x10 imo, wheres aas the 3x10 just seems to have only one of the above. for me at least 2x10 seems to be the future and im glad that sram will offer it in relatively groupsets, still gonna put X0 on my next build tho :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think both will be equally popular. It all depends what you want from you gears. A high top gear and low bottom gear? Then the triple. Less overlap? Then the double may suit. or do you want to stay more in a particular chainring, or have more clearance?

No right or wrong. I see myself having a number of bikes with varying set ups. So far the 10 speed has simply closed the ratios up, though the 36t sprocket will be more widely available than on 9 speed.

Double chainsets are an old idea, and 36t has been around for a while. There is no revolution here.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    No right or wrong. I see myself having a number of bikes with varying set ups. So far the 10 speed has simply closed the ratios up, though the 36t sprocket will be more widely available than on 9 speed.

Double chainsets are an old idea, and 36t has been around for a while. There is no revolution here.

agreed, i am running a double chainset on my enduro, for clearance purposes but i havent changed the chain ring as i use the middle 32 pretty much all the time anyway at the moment.

i really cant see why everyone is gettign such a hard on over double chainsets, the folk who are heralding it as the best thing ever could do it to their own kit for the price of a ring and some new bolts :?