Strong wheelset for about £200?

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I am looking at getting a child seat for my daughter on my road bike. I am looking at the Hamax Plus to put on the Giant. Currently the bike has got Aksiums but I am afraid I might damage them with such a weight and was looking at some handbuilt options with 32 or 36 spokes for not a lot of money. I have heard that the strongest rim by Mavic is the CXP33. Is there any other I should be aware off? Also, are there any factory wheels that could do the job? Planet X Model C or Pro-Lite Comos?

Thanks a lot,
Gabriel
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... c-wheelset

These are highly rated by mate who does cross.

I've had the B set on my road bike and they were excellent felt good, quick to get up to speed.
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Hi,

If the Hamax seat is the same as the ones I've used, then they attach by a single big fixing that clamps around the seat tube. I've only used these on steel-tubed bikes, and I'd be wary of using it on a lightweight alloy frame.

I'm not sure that you need to worry about the wheels. I don't think that Aksiums have a weight limit. Hamax seats have a 20kg limit, so as long as you+daughter don't weigh more than the biggest guy you've ever seen riding a bike then what can go wrong?

BTW, any child of more than about 15kgs is going to cause horrible oscillations every time they move. If your daughter is very young then watch out for your wallet and underpants.