LIDL

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited May 2010 in MTB general
just picked up my 34 piece bike tool kit and two waterproof jackets in Lidl...they also have cycle socks, shoes, gloves, saddles and base layers this week.

For my occassional use I am sure the toolkit will be ok...well chuffed with the bargain!

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I can honestly say that the toolkit is fantastic value - been using mine for nearly a year now without any problems - its great for home mechanics on a budget and afaik its the same as some of the other re-branded £60 kits. I also have some of their sock which are great.

Might go check out the base layers for commuting in.
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    Just been myself at lunch. Got me a toolkit, some socks, and a chaincleaner. All for under £30.00 can't knock that. Tools seem to be made of decent matherial and no too light so we will see........
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Bugger

I knew I was supposed to do something before work this morning.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Gotta love Lidl, might have a look after work. No obligation.
    Many happy trails!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i bought 2 bike jackets from aldi the other week, they're not amazing but they're great to keep in your pack for emergencies, showerproof, windproof and fold up really small and they were only £10 each :D
  • kaytronika
    I'll call in the Wigan one on my way home.

Could do with a chain cleaner.

Got a pair of shoes last week.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Out of interest are the shoes spd yeah? KNew about the other stuff, just not the shoes, may have to take a look now.
  • kaytronika
    The ones I picked up are, yes. Not bad for less that £20

Check on the box to be sure.

Mine didn't come with cleats, not sure if that's the norm.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Mccraque
    The shoes were SPD....you just need to remove a section of rubber from under the sole....so more casual than performance, I think.

However, I just checked and the shoes were last week....they have golf shoes this week. Why they didn't do them altogether with the rest of the cycle stuff I am not sure.
  • Mccraque
    The shoes were SPD....you just need to remove a section of rubber from under the sole....so more casual than performance, I think.

However, I just checked and the shoes were last week....they have golf shoes this week. Why they didn't do them altogether with the rest of the cycle stuff I am not sure.
  • kaytronika
    The Pemberton store had one pair of the size nine shoes left.

I went in for a chain cleaner

I came out with a chain cleaner, a tool kit, a first aid kit and two bars of chocolate.

The latter was essential. :D
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Get in quick, next Thursday, General Election day, they get my vote. http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week18Thursday10.htm?WT.z_src=main :wink:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • its a good toolkit for the price
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    Managed to get the last chain cleaner in my local store today. now more toothbrushing the chain for me!!

I think Lidl and Aldi keep most of us mountain bikers with mortages going!
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • You are talking about LIDL the food shopping cheapy place?

I can never find anything worth a damn in my local branch...
    Why oh why do onions make you cry?
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    @ kaytronika, did you see any socks? I was at the Pemberton store earlier today and they only had a couple of pairs in small sizes?
  • kaytronika
    bobcheese wrote:
    @ kaytronika, did you see any socks? I was at the Pemberton store earlier today and they only had a couple of pairs in small sizes?

It was the Pem store I visited too. Only had running socks from what I could see.

On next weeks stuff: Tempted by those glasses, I use a 5 year old pair of Oakleys that my wife disallowed me from wearing for anything else because they look stupid. Bloomin know it all opthalmic type.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    If you go on their website and register for their newsletter they will send you what offers they have coming up a week prior to them starting. Generally if they have bike kit I want I have to get in there within the first couple of hours of them opening as it goes REAL quick.

RD
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    RockingDad wrote:
    Generally if they have bike kit I want I have to get in there within the first couple of hours of them opening as it goes REAL quick.

This is true, cyclists seem to know they are onto a good thing with the LIDL bargins. To my advantage though, this never seems to be the apparent where I live, even though it is rated as one of the top 3 cycling cities by Cycling Plus :roll:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/c ... ersy-25634
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I got the chain cleaner last night and the fold up jacket is excellent.
    I've had a few jerseys from them and apart from the full length zip one I've not had any problems (I did manage to mend the full length one and it's fine now)
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    That toolkit is pretty good actually, therefore I own a set as well !

Decent chain tool.
  • Just got my tool kit today. Will save me from using my multi-tool for everything...

If only they had these in last week when I spent 3 hours removing a BB, armed with a hacksaw, a pair of molegrips, and gigantic adjustable spanner.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Got a toolkit today,now just need to figure out what it all does. :?
  • Craggle T
    Craggle T Posts: 18
    Got my tool kit yesterday along with 2 pairs of socks, not many of either left when i got in there.
    Craig.
  • stedlocks
    stedlocks Posts: 18
    the toolkits are great!!

Saves me plugging away with varous toffee hammers and spud spanners.... :D