Cassette size for the Marmotte

Hi

I currently have a 53-39 chain ring and a 12/25 cassette but I was wondering if I bought a 11-28 cassette would it make things a little easier whilst tackling the marmotte? In other words for £42 will I see a difference or is the difference minimal.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Champy79 wrote:
    Hi

I currently have a 53-39 chain ring and a 12/25 cassette but I was wondering if I bought a 11-28 cassette would it make things a little easier whilst tackling the marmotte? In other words for £42 will I see a difference or is the difference minimal.

Yes, you will see the difference. I used a 12-27 with a 53-39 on the etape, just gives you more options.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Have you considered a compact chainset also/instead? Obviously depends on your fitness, and is certainly costlier than the casette mod, especially if you need a new front mech too.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    I'm doing the Marmotte too and have changed from a 12-27 to a 11-28. You'll definitely feel a difference!
  • Champy79
    Champy79 Posts: 46
    Cheers folks will give it a go.

Dizzydane - although im training lots im still worried about the steepness on some of the climbs. I think just having something to give me some respite will be a good thing!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Sometimes every little bit helps. If you're running a Shimano or Sram crank you can also buy a 38 tooth front ring. TA Specialties sells one.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I've got a compact on the front anyway, and I stuck on a 12-27 to go up the Ventoux last year...needed every one of the buggers as well, although I'm quite a big old unit (6'6" and 87KG).

Doing the Marmotte as well this year, and will have the same combo on again - I'd definitely recommend going 27/28 at the back for those Alpine climbs, if I were you.
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I ran 33 on the front and a 11-28 cassette

I wouldn't do it with anything higher. Underestimate Alp D'Huez at your peril :shock:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    *Whispers* (If I get round to doing this, I'll be using my triple!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Champy79 wrote:
    i'm still worried about the steepness on some of the climbs
    It's not the steepness, it's the length.

39x25 is the gear a pro would use. You would do better with a 28T at the back at least.

Remember, what happens when you go through a bad patch and there's a headwind? You should aim to avoid your lowest gear all day, rather than using the lowest gear as your default mountain gear.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I used 12 x 25on a compact front.
    Not sure why you would need a 11 wou;d prefer closer on the range than 11 28
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Definitely get the 27, if not a compact.

In 2008 I rode it on 50/34 and 12-27. I felt I hadn't really needed the 27, or the 24 that much, so in 2009 I left on my 53/39 and paid for it. Apart from the anything else there's the pyschological benefit of knowing that you've got easier gears if you need them. In 2010 it'll be back to the compact even though I'd never be close to needing one for the rest of the year. Don't underestimate how much harder ADH will be after 100miles and 3 climbs on a scorching day...
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    edited April 2010
    Of course climbing style is also an issue here. I prefer to spin a low gear that some would think of as a granny gear, other people I know don't mind a slower, more grinding cadence. But I overtake more people on big hills than get overtaken myself, so it can't be all bad!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Champy79
    Cheers for this info very interesting. Genki, its interesting you changed and paid for it. I think I will go for the 11-28 and get some practice in now with it.

Slightly off topic but still regarding the marmotte, from those that have had past experience what are you taking with you on the ride?
  • Stelvio_W
    Stelvio_W Posts: 25
    Champy79 wrote:
    Cheers for this info very interesting. Genki, its interesting you changed and paid for it. I think I will go for the 11-28 and get some practice in now with it.

Slightly off topic but still regarding the marmotte, from those that have had past experience what are you taking with you on the ride?

A pair of legs and a mooshive set of lungs.... :lol:
  • I was thinking of asking the same question, so would also like to thank you guys for the v useful advise.

cheers
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I wore bibs, a SS jersey and arm warmers, and took a lightweight shell, which was handy as the heavens opened after the 2nd feed stop.

Food wise, the feed stops are good but do get busy. I think I took with me about 4 bars, 2 gels, and powder for another 4 bottles, which worked out fine. It depends to some extent whether you are going for a time or not. If you're prepared to stand about for 15 minutes at each feedstop, muching away on the sandwiches and bananas then you don't need that much food but if you want to eat whilst riding you'll obviously need to carry more of it yourself.

Kit wise, I had just one tube, a multitool, tyre lever, and a CO2. Some people had spare tyres but I didn't bother. If you run tubs on carbon rims then get ready to carry a good few spare tyres when they blowout.... :shock:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Champy79
    cheers maddog for your answer its much appreciated.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    What you carry on the day is weather dependent. In 2002 I rode the Marmotte in the rain and it was horrific. We were staying in Alpe d'Huez so had to descend to the start in the rain so got wet before we started, then we stood in a car park for an hour in the rain waiting to start. Then, despite the effort of climbing, I was shivering ascending the Croix de Fer due to the cold and had to make a decision at the top of continuing on or turning back for home. I chose the latter and froze on the descent, I was literally shaking with the cold and it took 3 kms of climbing Alpe d'Huez to stop the shivering.

I returned in 2006 and had a complete set of winter kit, should it be needed. This time I was very fortunate with the weather and it was bright and sunny but even then the heat on the Alpe as you climbed to the finish was too much for some.

Basically you need to be prepared for conditions that could be akin to winter or high summer.

As for gearing, I'm guessing the fact that you're asking this means you've never ridden in the high mountains before? If so, then I strongly recommend you get a compact or a triple. As others have said, the gradients you face aren't the problem, it's the sheer length of the climbs that will challenge you more and, in my experience, you can never have a low enough gear when it gets tough.
  • dennisn
    andyp wrote:
    What you carry on the day is weather dependent. In 2002 I rode the Marmotte in the rain and it was horrific. We were staying in Alpe d'Huez so had to descend to the start in the rain so got wet before we started, then we stood in a car park for an hour in the rain waiting to start. Then, despite the effort of climbing, I was shivering ascending the Croix de Fer due to the cold and had to make a decision at the top of continuing on or turning back for home. I chose the latter and froze on the descent, I was literally shaking with the cold and it took 3 kms of climbing Alpe d'Huez to stop the shivering.

I returned in 2006 and had a complete set of winter kit, should it be needed. This time I was very fortunate with the weather and it was bright and sunny but even then the heat on the Alpe as you climbed to the finish was too much for some.

Basically you need to be prepared for conditions that could be akin to winter or high summer.

As for gearing, I'm guessing the fact that you're asking this means you've never ridden in the high mountains before? If so, then I strongly recommend you get a compact or a triple. As others have said, the gradients you face aren't the problem, it's the sheer length of the climbs that will challenge you more and, in my experience, you can never have a low enough gear when it gets tough.

Everything "andyp" says here is right on the money. Don't underestimate what the weather can do and don't even think that you'll do OK in the high mountains because you've climbed a few hills near your home. Take all the gearing you've got. Many mountain climbs have very little in the way of relief from the uphill battle and if you've got 20 miles of climbing ahead of you and you're grinding along at say 6 or 7 MPH - well, you do the math. It can make you question just why you ever thought you wanted to do something like this. Not trying to scare you off but "Be prepared".
  • dennisn
    FWIW here's what I carry when doing a tour in the mountains.
    Small to medium Camelback with the bladder removed(I don't like jamming my pockets full to the max and I hate under the seat bags).
    Lightweight waterproof shell with hood.
    Medium to heavy weight arm and leg warmers. Some people take lightweight waterproof pants but I'm not a fan.
    Neoprene toe warmers at the least.
    Long fingered cycling gloves sprayed with some water repellant stuff.
    Lightweight glove liners(silk).
    Lightweight balaclava(sp?).
    Lightweight long sleeve lycra jersey(Underarmor).
    plus the usual wallet, multi tool, pump(on bike), spare tube or two, bars, gels, whatever, phone if you wish, money, credit cards. All clothing rolled up tightly with some rubber bands.
    I'm sure I've missed something but......
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    dennisn wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Everything "andyp" says here is right on the money. Don't underestimate what the weather can do and don't even think that you'll do OK in the high mountains because you've climbed a few hills near your home. Take all the gearing you've got. Many mountain climbs have very little in the way of relief from the uphill battle and if you've got 20 miles of climbing ahead of you and you're grinding along at say 6 or 7 MPH - well, you do the math. It can make you question just why you ever thought you wanted to do something like this. Not trying to scare you off but "Be prepared".
    I agree with Dennis!

The weather can vary a lot, you need to check it the day before and get a precise forecast. Not only the weather in the valleys but to know the wind and temp at the top of the Galibier.
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    I'm do'n the Marmotte this year as well. Being a bigger build with a grinding style rather than a spinner, so I wanted to replace my 11/23 cassette even though I have a compact chainset.

I wanted a: 11,12,13,14,15,17,19, 22, 25, 28

This isn't a standard Campag 10 block. So I bought a Miche cassette "set" from Company Z which can be custom configured - top guys to deal with…
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    dennisn wrote:
    It can make you question just why you ever thought you wanted to do something like this.

Ha. I'm already doing that and I haven't been anywhere near the Alps yet. :lol:
  • dennisn
    I'm do'n the Marmotte this year as well. Being a bigger build with a grinding style rather than a spinner, so I wanted to replace my 11/23 cassette even though I have a compact chainset.

I wanted a: 11,12,13,14,15,17,19, 22, 25, 28

This isn't a standard Campag 10 block. So I bought a Miche cassette "set" from Company Z which can be custom configured - top guys to deal with…

Not sure if TA Specialties makes a Campy 33 tooth front ring but do know they make a Shimano one. Or are Campy and Shimano compacts the same BCD???? Anyone???
    Anyway FWIW it's another less tooth for the battle.
  • antikythera
    dennisn wrote:
    Not sure if TA Specialties makes a Campy 33 tooth front ring but do know they make a Shimano one. Or are Campy and Shimano compacts the same BCD???? Anyone???
    Anyway FWIW it's another less tooth for the battle.

From another site/thread I found a reference to this page that states that TA is not compatible. An alternative for the Miche set-up is to go down to a 30 tooth sprocket. But because I grind I didn't want to give up the 11.

I don't do Shimano so don't have any recent experience with the stuff, but the Miche set-up also works for Shimano.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    But because I grind I didn't want to give up the 11.

The amount of time you'll actually be pushing an 11 on the Marmotte is minimal. Needless to say most of the day is spent going uphill, and the descents, for me at least, are free-wheeling and recovery. It's much more important that you get the other end of your cassette sorted out.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My present plan is to use 50/34 x 12/27.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • antikythera
    genki wrote:
    Needless to say most of the day is spent going uphill, and the descents, for me at least, are free-wheeling and recovery. It's much more important that you get the other end of your cassette sorted out.

While I believe that what you have to say is valid. Its not the first experience (for me). I've done similar events. Yes, there's a lot a lot of climbing but I think a lot of people that don't understand that the down hills are equally important. It's where people like me make some in roads. So the *11* IS important.

Having said that I'm happy to have finished regardless of the time taken, I'm not a mountain goat. I'm happy to complete the event...
  • Rutlandblue
    Rutlandblue Posts: 24
    Dont worry to much about gearing, if you're fit the gradiants are not overly hard compared to the fred whitton for eg. The climbs are just long, very long so get a rythm and get your head around the length/climbing time and you will be fine.
    As for the weather take extreme caution. It was sleeting at the top of the Galib snd 28c in Bourg D' when i did it.
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    For some really small gearing cassettes, IRD makes these: www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html