Roof racks or boot mounted bike carrier??

agg25
agg25 Posts: 619
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I've just bought an Audi A4 Estate partly to help me get out to some nice tracks and just tossing up on whether to carry my 2 bikes on the roof or behind the car on one of those strap in type carriers.
My car has the ridges to mount a rack on and it looks easier to set up than the strap type. Looks like they'd cost a bit more though.
Can anyone recommend some decent ones of either that won't cost the earth?
Still want quality though and don't mind spending a bit if it's going to make a big difference.
Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thule tow bar mounted or Thule roof rail mounted.

In that order is my preference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just to add confusion to the mix, I use a Saris Bones rear mounted rack, and have been very happy with it. Never had any sway issued, or any signs of it attempting to come off when it shouldn't.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Would go for rear mount as roof mounts increase drag considerably....so if your going on long trips then a deffo no no....The Thule towbar racks are nice and secure, well that's if you have a tow bar !! if not as above go for the Saris Bones...

I have one and it is full adjustable, and once set up you can just carry on with no changes. It sits ontop of your rear bumper with two legs resting on the screen. 6 straps hold it ultra tight with no movement....not cheap but you get what you pay for. Available in 1,2 and three bike capacityintergrated seat tube and top tuube straps are a great idea...check ebay as the retail of the 3 bike is around £130 and I got mine for £75...

http://www.saris.com/p-299-bones-3-bike.aspx
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • agg25
    Hmm, ok.
    Well I don't have a tow bar unfortunately so have to rule that option out.
    Would you's recommend if I went the rear mount to get a 3 bike carrier instead of a 2 just so the bikes are spread out a bit better?
    Also because I have the rear shock mounted just under the top tube (Cube AMS Pro R1 Mag) would the loops that go around the top tube on the rear mount types fit around the tube and the shock?
    Cheers for replies.
  • Pudseyp
    Go for the three so you can space...Saris and Halfords do a clever device which is basically a pole that attaches to your seattube and your stem...this protects the frame and is great for awkward hydoformed frames such as my Marin...takes seconds to fit...£25 from Saris or just over a Tenner from Halfords and the likes of ebay
  • xraymtb
    xraymtb Posts: 121
    Have you priced a towbar?

Having used all three, my preference is towbar, roof, rear strap on rack and I heavily advise against the strap on racks. They just dont have the stability of security of the other two.

My towbar rack actually cost a lot less than the roof option and less than a 'good' strap on rack so even with fitting a towbar it wasnt much more expensive.
    exercise.png
  • agg25
    Didn't price a towbar as I thought that alone would be well over £100. I've used them before and they were pretty easy to use and stable.
    Thanks for the tip pudseyp.
  • Anonymous
    xraymtb wrote:
    They just dont have the stability of security of the other two.
    Like I said, never had a stability/security issue with rear mounted racks, in over 15 years of using them.
    However, I do know that bikes have been known to fall off all sorts of racks, including towbar and roof mounts.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be aware that rear mounted can also cause drag and on some cars it can cause LIFT.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    be aware that rear mounted can also cause drag and on some cars it can cause LIFT.
    Doesn't a towbar mounting produce drag as well though?
  • Pudseyp
    They just dont have the stability of security of the other two.[/quote]

Er totally disagree....I have done a 500 mile round trip to Scotland and the rack never moved...unless you have owned a Saris you will never know how secure they are..I have had allsorts, Holywood and Pendle and the Saris is one of the most secure racks out there inc roof and towbar mount..period
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    Does anybody know of a rack that would take a female styled frame?

My missus has a Trek Skye SL which I can't fit on a normal rack due to the down tube.

I am currently looking at a roof mounted one, but being a full economy miser I hate the idea of it.
  • Abnormal
    Abnormal Posts: 20
    I have a Saris boot mounted rack and have nothing but praise for it, once you have set the adjustable arms into the position you want it's very quick to fit/remove.
    As for fuel economy no cars drag coefficiency was designed to have anything else fitted so they will all drag to some extent.
    In the end it all comes down to what suits you best as once the bikes are on the back there's no opening the boot.
    Specialized Rochopper Comp 09
    (Few mods)
  • Anonymous
    Quirrel wrote:
    Does anybody know of a rack that would take a female styled frame?

My missus has a Trek Skye SL which I can't fit on a normal rack due to the down tube.

I am currently looking at a roof mounted one, but being a full economy miser I hate the idea of it.
    Saris bones, with the extra srossbar things mentioned earlier in the thread.
    We carry a Marin Wolfrige, and a Norco Six on ours, so we also have to use the extra crossbar thing.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    nicklouse wrote:

They all cause drag.

My previous rear rack effected my MPG as well as the Thule roofrack I'm currently using.
  • palerider
    palerider Posts: 46
    seeing as its an estate car why not put the bikes in the back of the car, and save your money, prob gonna cost you more in petrol too as any rack will surely add wind resistance?
    I drive a passat estate and can fit three bikes,riders and their kit no problem

just my thoughts anyway
  • palerider
    seeing as its an estate car why not put the bikes in the back of the car, and save your money, prob gonna cost you more in petrol too as any rack will surely add wind resistance?

just my thoughts anyway
  • Quirrel
    Halfords have 10% off carriers just now.

I think they had 30% last weekend, but I forgot to buy one.
  • Anonymous
    palerider wrote:

just my thoughts anyway
    Great thing about estates (i used to drive a Sierra estate for a while!) is that you can lock your bikes up inside. Now, whilst not completely secure, it is an extra little piece of mind if you stop somewhere for food with your bikes in the back of the car.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    palerider wrote:

just my thoughts anyway

Only if you dont need the backseat space or room for camping gear etc, you wont get bikes in the back without putting seats down, estates arn't that much longer than saloons/hatchs.

And you dont need to have an estate to put bike(s) in the back, most motors are big enough for that.
  • Anonymous
    With an estate though, well, the ones I've driven, the rear of the boot is higher up, giving you considerably more room to also stick tents etc. Hatchnacks tend to slope down at the back.
  • palerider
    Only if you dont need the backseat space or room for camping gear etc, you wont get bikes in the back without putting seats down, estates arn't that much longer than saloons/hatchs.

the seats in the back split and fold flat,fold the two seat section down and stand the bikes on bars and seat facing alternate directions if carrying three. leaving quite alot of space for wheels gear etc. admittedly its a push for 3 people WITH camping gear, two is fine. and days trips ideal in my opinion.

With an estate though, well, the ones I've driven, the rear of the boot is higher up, giving you considerably more room to also stick tents etc. Hatchnacks tend to slope down at the back.

+1
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Briggo wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

They all cause drag.

My previous rear rack effected my MPG as well as the Thule roofrack I'm currently using.

Obviously they will all cause some kind of aero dynamic change and therefore reduce mpg. It is an addition to the car so just the weight alone would do this!

Anyway I was also looking at the Saris but they don't seem to do them for the SEAT Ibiza.
  • Anonymous
    The saris should fit a Seat Ibiza fine. I cannot imagine a reason for it not to fit.
    Where abouts do you live? Next time you're at a trail centre, see if anyone has a Saris bones, they might let you try it on your car to see if it fits (well, I would)
  • Quirrel
    I just picked up the Halfrods Advanced roof set.

I for 70 quid it's not a bad deal and feels pretty solid