To those who use an Alfine (or similar) hub...

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Is it worth it? I'm in the process of creating my uber commuter and I had assumed that the Alfine made most sense (I really don't need more than 8 gears), but does it? Do the pros outweigh the cons? My brother reckons it may not cater for my competitive streak when trying to keep up with those on road bikes (surely in the urban environment I could not blame the Alfine if I was beaten for speed - a bad workman and all that...) I know that if speed is what I want then there are better options, but I am trying to create my perfect commuter, not my perfect racer (I can work on that in the future). Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are generally heavier for an equivalent gear spread, and can be less efficient.

But for many work better through the elements and need little maintenance.
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    I've been running an alfine-fitted bike for commuting (like you from SE London) since October. It's good at traffic lights as you can change gear when you're stopped. It's good in the rain cos the low maintenance sealed unit is protected from the elements. The freewheel is silent so you can hear stuff when you're not pedalling. All these things make for a pleasurable ride.

In practice I spend 95% plus of the time in gears 3-7. I find first and second gear pretty useless on my commutes, even on the 'hills', and I always set off from standstill in 3rd gear.

Within twenty metres of setting off from a traffic light I'm in fifth gear and will cruise in fifth to seventh, changing relatively little. In these gears I'm faster than 90% of full-on road machines but my cadence is relatively high. It's a little spinny if I'm honest but it seems a big jump up to eighth gear which I only really use downhill and then I wish there were a couple more gears to go to. I'm considering going for a bigger chainring.

The hub is quite heavy and tends to thump into the potholes.

In short, it's a compromise but a decent one for a commuter if you don't mind being left behind by the better riders/lighter bikes. I'm still unsure whether I made the right choice with the hub gear but if I had a second sportier bike sitting in the shed for when i wanted real speed then I'd be more than happy.

Hope that doesn't confuse things too much.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Thanks guys; it actually makes things clearer. I think I have perhaps been seduced by the cleverness of it over the practicality. A compromise gearing system is all very well, but not if you are having to spend a few hundred quid extra for it. I guess the Alfine 11-speed will make much more sense and a year from now it may even be affordable so perhaps I ought to think again and wait to see what the future brings.

Cheers!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    My mate has been hammering our Alfine hub on his 29er off road trying to break it. It is stubbornly refusing it give in, and instead still shifts with incredible smoothness and runs perfectly.

When I rode it, the weight penalty aside, I doubt I'd be that much slower (not measurably anyways) with the Alfine in the real world. Hopefully I'll be able to wrest it from him soon so I can try it out through SCR central.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've had an Alfined Cotic Roadrat for a couple of weeks now, having previously commuted on various bikes including a Specialized Tricross. The gearing range of the Alfine seems good for a commter - from home to work is mostly downhill or flat and with the wind so I only use the high gears, and on the way home - uphill and into the wind - I tend to use as low as 2nd, although depending on the route there is one hill that needs 1st gear and standing up all the way (and still has me close to throwing up at the top) but it is pretty steep.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

amongst other posts

my commute is hilly I use all 8 gears and don't struggle to find one that does the job untill I'm rlly bombing it downhill at 30-35+

pros

silent, bombproof, maintenence free, can change at a standstill & for 95% of riders the gear range is fine 99% of the time - you need to be a real speed freak or a mountain goat to actively need more.

cons

makes the back end heavy.